Running the Capital Ring - part 1


Let me be up front at the beginning. You will notice I have entitled this article part 1. That's not because this is a two part account of my 78 mile run of the Capital Ring. Instead it is a single account of the first leg of my two part journey around the Capital Ring. Let me explain.

When I moved to London at the start of lockdown I joined a local online running forum called YPOM (Your Pace Or Mine). Matt Shimwell, one of the leaders of the group, was planning to run around the Capital Ring - a 78 mile walking route linking the green parks and woods of inner London. He asked if anyone wanted to join; I volunteered. 

The date soon rolled around - October 17th 2020. In the weeks leading up to the run I was excited and nervous. It would be twice as far as I had previously run in one go. The night before I laid out my clothes, packed and re-packed my bag, ate pasta until I thought I would burst and went to bed early. I was ready.

I arrived at Matt's house at 3:45am. Surprisingly I had slept well. We walked half a mile to the section of the Capital Ring we had decided to start from - Northover in Lewisham. After a quick selfie we set off. 


Our main aim at this point was to rein in our excitement and keep a steady (slow) pace, walking up any hills and fueling well. 

The first park we encountered was Beckenham Place Park. The gates were locked but part of the fence had been torn open. We climbed through and entered the darkness. With our head torches to guide us we ran through the trees, past the Georgian mansion and through the open gate on the opposite side.

As we threaded through Beckenham into Penge I started to feel unwell. I was sweating heavily despite the chilled air and slow pace. My stomach was turning over and dizzy spells came and went. My breakfast exited my body. I had to be honest with Matt and admit how I was feeling, but I was determined to keep going. It was just the two of us until we reached Richmond Bridge where Paul Tonks was joining us. If I could get Matt to that point - 24 miles - I would be comfortable to stop.

I had felt unwell for a couple of weeks prior to the day and had even passed out on one occasion. However, I had no Coronavirus symptoms and my blood test had showed all clear. I'd begun to feel better, but I obviously wasn't yet 100%.

We ran through Penge and arrived at Crystal Palace (6 miles). The gates were locked here too so we made our way around the perimeter and up the steep hill to Upper Norwood. From there it was a comfortable descent to the bottom of Beulah Hill and around Streatham Common. I was feeling a bit better now. My legs felt strong and my breathing was more regular although my heartrate was elevated. At this point we were ahead of our predicted time.

The next common awaited us a mile or so through the residential streets of Streatham (10 miles). I knew Tooting Bec Common from running parkrun there a few months ago. We crossed it, passing the fishing lake and continued into Balham. Wandsworth Common was next up and after a few more suburban streets we arrived at Wimbledon Park (15 miles).


While planning and researching the route this had been the point I was looking forward to. Leaving the busy roads and terraced houses behind, we would enter the greenery of first Wimbledon Park and then Richmond Park. Unfortunately it wasn't to be. Despite it now being 7am the gates were securely locked and the 8 foot spiked railings ensured we would not be able to climb over. This meant a two mile detour. 

Matt and I were frustrated and allowed ourselves a good moan as we first climbed, and then descended the steep roads bordering the two longest sides of the park. The houses here were huge mansions behind high, electronic gates. We stopped for a photo outside the All England Tennis Club and agreed to put the setback behind us. 

After crossing Wimbledon Common we passed through the stag topped gates of Richmond Park. The park was busy with children riding ponies, Lycra clad cyclists speeding by and photographers aiming their long zoom lenses at the rutting stags. I felt better by this point and Matt, despite a small dizzy spell, was also in good spirits. 

We had spent long stretches chatting and getting to know one another. This was only the third time we had met and the first time for longer than 20 minutes. However, we were just as content jogging in silence.

Matt kept checking on my health, which I appreciated and I tried to reciprocate. Both of us were ensuring that we were eating and drinking plenty. My marmite sandwiches didn't last long, nor did the peanut bars. I also polished my water off quickly. Neither of us wanted to get into a fuel deficit.

I was careful to pace myself as though I were aiming to complete the whole Ring. Despite still expecting to finish after 26.2 miles, I didn't want to push Matt too hard too early. He had a long way to go. We were managing a steady 10 min/mile pace with walking breaks when eating or going uphill.


Richmond Park was glorious in its wild beauty. The leaves were beginning to turn orange and yellow and the day had an autumnal feel with grey clouds and a cool wind. There were some huge, ancient trees scattered around. As we passed a family of deer - a doe and her fawns - a stag began to approach in defence of his brood. We had been warned about getting too close as October is rutting season. I felt my pace lift a little.



We climbed past Spankers Hill Wood and crossed between two lakes before bisecting Sidmouth Wood. The descent took us into Richmond Upon Thames and onto the bank of the same river. Here we met up with Paul Tonks. 26 miles in and my job was done...

...but I felt ok. With encouragement from Matt and Paul I agreed to continue to the next checkpoint and see how I felt when we arrived.


After following the Thames for a while we passed through Syon Park and turned off to follow the river Brent for 6 miles to Greenford. This was nice and flat. Apart from one bridge crossing which we shouldn't have taken, we were following the route well. Neither Matt or myself had met Paul before and I soon warmed to his positivity and sense of humour. I was running with two relative strangers that I knew would be friends by the end of the day.

The Wharncliffe viaduct was an impressive sight as we passed under its gigantic brick arches. Soon we arrived in Greenford (36 miles). We were out of water. A Tesco appeared invitingly ahead of us but would involve a detour from the route. We agreed that it would be foolish not to refuel and took the hit. 


With bottles filled we returned to the route only to find that just around the corner was a McDonalds, M&S and other shops. Never mind. I decided to carry on and we crossed the A40 and were soon at Paradise Fields.

Ok. Let's just say the name Paradise Fields might be a bit of a stretch. It would be better described as 'Fields'. There was nothing even slightly paradisiacal about it. This became a running joke between us. A stagnant pond covered in algae must be Paradise Pond' etc. You get the picture.

*I must just mention that we kept ourselves occupied on the run by counting the number of foxes, mattresses and golf courses we spotted. By the time I finished the totals were 12 foxes, 6 mattresses and 6 golf courses.*

There was a long, steep climb ahead of us - Horsenden Hill. We reached the top and took a photo at the trig point with the Wembley arch behind us, then it was back down and north to Sudbury Hill which climbed and climbed up to Harrow-on-the-Hill. We had now been running for 40 miles. I said I would do another 10 and finish at East Finchley.


Harrow was very posh and very picturesque. We passed the various school buildings and two beautiful churches; St Mary's and Harrow school chapel. Descending to the football fields we stopped for a quick wee and then carried on to Preston where we were going to have lunch.



Lunch was a Dominos pizza. Mushroom and Onion for me and Pepperoni for Matt. We walked for a while chomping our pizzas straight from the boxes while dressed in our running gear, drawing some funny looks from the locals.


We now faced another climb up to Barn Hill and another trig point. Pizzas scoffed we binned the boxes and stopped for another selfie. A couple out for a walk had obviously had a disagreement as his offer of a photo together at the summit was met with a sharp rejection from her.

The next place of interest was Brent Reservoir which the Capital Ring skirts before crossing the M1 into Hendon. I was feeling much better by this point but knew I definitely would not make
the full distance. A sharp pain in my left knee was getting worse. 

Once in Hendon we were following the North Circular. Thankfully the route guided us onto a path below the road which followed a waterway called Mutton Brook. This took us to East Finchley Station where Susie May was joining Matt and Paul. Here I decided to stop. In order to make it up to 50 miles I ran for a mile to Highgate Wood and then doubled back on myself.


Matt carried on and eventually finished the full Capital Ring - 78 miles in 19.5 hours. An amazing achievement. I had managed 50 miles in 11.5 hours. Part 2 will be the final section from East Finchley to Grove Park, 28 miles. Watch this space.

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge