Northampton Half Marathon

 
The Northampton Half Marathon has become a regular fixture on my running calendar. I have entered on each of the three occasions the race has been in existence. In 2013 I finished in 1:39. A year later I knocked 5 minutes off with a 1:34 and so in 2015 I was aiming for a 1:30.

It is a great occasion as so many local runners take part with great support from those marshalling too. It brings together parkrunners, PJR members, NRR members and other clubs from near and far.

Every year the course is adapted and this year was the best route so far. The start was once more at the Guildhall. Over 500 people lined up for the start at 9:30 after a strange registration process that involved receiving your finishers t-shirt before the race had begun!

We set off along St Giles Street heading out of town. I had started near the front to avoid any hold ups and set off at a strong pace. Turning left at St Giles Church we then took a right onto Abington Street in the direction of Abington Square and along the Kettering Road towards the Racecourse.

By this point I could tell that I was pushing it too hard but felt good and tried to keep up with those just in front. We ran in an anti-clockwise direction around the Racecourse park which felt like a normal parkrun. We exited onto the Barrack Road which had one lane coned off. Unfortunately inconsiderate drivers had parked within the cones meaning we were squeezed into single file.

At the bottom of the Mounts we turned up Sheep Street and looped around the now demolished Mouth of Hell bus station and back down to Abington Street. My GPS hadn't worked but I overheard someone say we were running at 6:20 pace. This was 20-30 seconds too fast and I made an effort to reduce my speed but here self discipline let me down.

Passing by the Guildhall and under the start banner for a second time we took the southerly exit from the centre, past Derngate Theatre and into Beckett's Park. We were now at mile 4 and I was still running too fast.

In previous years the course had taken us this way after just one mile but a later part of the course through Hardingstone Village had been removed and the Racecourse loop added. It was much better running in the Centre and more people were able to watch and cheer us on which added to the atmosphere.

At this point we were at one third distance but I was struggling to get my breathing right. I also needed the toilet and was aware I was at risk of blowing up at the end if I kept the pace so high. I slowed slightly as we followed the river out of town, passed the white water centre and entered Brackmills Business Park.

This is a soulless place and not enjoyable to run through but there was a water station. I decided to stop and take on some fluids while letting some out at the same time. This cost me a few seconds but I felt much better afterwards. A quick stretch and I was off again ready for the big hill at half way distance.

The drag from Brackmills up to Wootton is very steep. It was a different road to previous years but no easier for it. I chose to walk for a short stretch and conserve energy and it was at this point - around halfway - that my pace dropped above 7 minutes. Another long but less steep drag wound its way to Great Houghton village and another water stop. Again I chose to stop to drink before carrying on feeling fresher.

As we entered Brackmills on the return to town I had an ache in the top of my right thigh and my legs were feeling heavy. I stopped again to stretch but this was now the fourth time I had stopped which is unusual for me. My GPS still wasn't functioning and I had no idea of my pace. I'm usually in control of a race mentally and therefore physically but I began to feel that I was a bit all over the place.

Passing eleven miles I was struggling. I considered stopping again but managed to resist dragging my legs rather than running smoothly. At 12 miles I did stop again. By this time I was frustrated with myself and fed up. I had lost it mentally with only a mile to go. The only time this had happened before was in Milton Keynes at the end of the marathon when I hit the wall. This was no wall but I had lost control. The main reasons were:
  • Not synching my Garmin in time and therefore not knowing my pace.
  • Going off too quickly.
  • Allowing myself to stop unnecessarily.
  • Letting a niggle become an issue.
I plodded on to mile 13 and was overtaken in the last 200m. I crossed the line tired and dejected and with no idea what my time or position was. My spirits lifted when I was told that the time was just after 11 meaning I wasn't far off an hour and a half. Results showed I had managed 1:30:40 and 50th place.

In the end my early pace had meant that the losses later in the race had been covered but I would have preferred to have finished strong. If I hadn't stopped as many times a sub 1:30 would have been a possibility but given the way I performed I can't complain at the time I achieved. I also learnt some good lessons for next time.

Sometimes a bad race can reap dividends further down the line and that is what I hope to take from this experience. After the race a large group of us went to the local pub to celebrate and all the negatives were forgotten. I'll be back next year.

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge