The best thing about being injured...


It was too good to be true. As September approached I began to believe that I would make it through a whole year without injury. Eight months of pure running pleasure, six of those making a century of miles, and I was feeling that I had finally cracked it. Consistency.

Then I ran the Northampton Half Marathon - hard - and decided that I'd be fine to do a sponsored run of 20 miles just six days later. Some people never learn! After ten miles I was knackered, mentally and physically I was at such a low. At one point I stared at the hill before me in dread, turned around and ran in the opposite direction. I should have known then that something wasn't right. Not right mentally but also not right physically as my hip began to get sore. For the first time since I started running three years ago I thought about giving it up.

The next day my hip was agony so I was sensible and rested. Well that is what I should have done. Instead I went out for a three miler hoping it would sort itself out. Result -  more pain and a severe limp that meant I couldn't put any pressure on my left leg.

I started a strict regime of ice and ibuprofen and now, two weeks later, I can walk without limping. However I can still feel a degree of stiffness and the odd twinge if I move too quickly. I'm hoping that this weekend I can do a gentle 3 miles.

I hate not running. It is frustrating not being able to stick on a pair of trainers and head off, feeling the sun, wind and sweat on your skin, getting your heart pumping and feeling alive. I miss my parkrun on Saturday morning. The weather has been perfect this last week; blue skies, cool temperatures, beautiful late summer / early autumn, just right for a good long run or a fast PB challenging 5K.

On the positive side it has forced me to rest again and build up my strength after a full on summer. I also have a renewed desire to run that was starting to wain. It also helps me to empathise with other runners when they suffer an injury and enables me to volunteer at parkrun where I can cheer on those who are running.

The best thing about being injured is that it helps you to appreciate just what a gift running is and to be thankful for it.

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge