My Top 10 Runs - Part 1

Over the past year I have taken part in quite a few different events and run close to 1000 miles. Lately I have been thinking about where and when I have run and trying to choose my favourite experiences. I thought I would share the top 10 with you.

10 - Night running

During the summer a group of us from Parklands Jog & Run leave our houses just as others are settling in for the night. We venture out as the dusk descends and make our way to the prearranged location. When everyone is ready head torches are switched on and off we go into the darkness.

Night running has been a fresh and fun experience for me. Following the bobbing circle of light into the unknown, surrounded only by the stillness and the crunching of gravel underfoot.

We run for an hour, half an hour out and then turn around and retrace our steps. This allows people with different paces to take part and gives the security of other runners nearby. I'll usually manage 6-7 miles and return home tired and ready for a good night's sleep.

9 - Christmas Day Parkrun

I love Parkrun. The whole concept and fact that it is free and run by volunteers is a wonderful example of how we can all get together to have fun while being healthy at no cost. The Saturday morning run is in my diary every week and if I ever miss one I always stop at 9am to remember everyone setting off on the 3 mile course.

My favourite Parkrun of the year is Christmas Day. I took part in 2012 and 2013 and it is now a part of the Christmas Day celebrations for our family. We rise early and open stockings and then head down to the Racecourse to brave the cold. The weather has been good the last couple of years and there is always a great atmosphere.

People dress up as Santa Claus or wear penguin/reindeer onesies. Last year someone even ran as Jesus - celebrating his birthday with a run! Returning home for a roast dinner having completed a 3 mile run feels lovely and allows me to gorge on Baileys and mince pies later in the day.

8 - Lode Half Marathon

This low key event takes place every November in Cambridgeshire. It is held at the local village hall in Lode. About 50 people took place last year. The event is run by local people and has a real family feel to it.

The course is dead flat which is great for those looking for a PB although the wind was very strong last year. The route takes you out across the Fens where you can see for miles.

At the finish there are drinks, home made cakes and plenty of people cheering you across the finish. It's a world away from the high profile, sponsored events and all the better for it.

7 - Rock Solid OCR

I have completed a number of OCR events but this one had the best set of obstacles and was also really well organised. I particularly enjoyed the monkey bars, the gladiators, the fire jump and the skip full of ice. There was also a mud pit that involved ducking under a number of wooden beams which ensured you were completely caked in sticky, smelly goo. For sheer messy fun this was perfect.

6 - River Wye

In April I spent a week at a retreat centre in the Black Mountains. I usually try and get away a couple of times a year and this time took my running gear with me. On the first day I decided to burn off some energy with a run and headed down to Brecon.

I started in the town centre and headed towards the River Wye which winds its way through the centre of the picturesque town. Once on the footpath I continued through a few gates and under a number of bridges before leaving the urban environment behind and entering the countryside.

The river curled through woodland and beside fields of grazing sheep. Ancient trees overhung on both sides, their roots protruding from the ground like giant worms. It was a warm day and the sun glinted on the still water. I ran for about an hour before turning back.

Watch this space for my top 5... 


Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge