Parkrun

Parkrun is where it all began for me and remains a highlight of my week. These weekly timed 5K runs take place at parks up and down the country every Saturday morning at 9am. Teams of volunteers help to organise and steward the event to keep it free for all runners. (www.parkrun.org.uk)


My local Parkrun is held at Northampton Racecourse. It's a flat course with only a couple of slight undulations meaning that visitors have a good chance of gaining a PB. The majority of distance is run on pavements although there is the option to use the grass if needed.

The course is made up of one big lap and one slightly smaller one with the finish line located 50 yards into the park itself. Around 200-250 now take part each week with times ranging from 16-46 minutes. All ages and abilities take part and the atmosphere is friendly and fun with a competitive edge.

See the route from the back of the lead bike here: Lead Bike Cam


I have now run 67 Parkruns but still find it the most challenging of all distances. I think this is down to the fact that you have to be 'on it' the whole way around. It isn't a sprint but at the same time you can't let up. Ultras are crazy long but at least you can walk for a bit and stop for a piece of cake. Half Marathons are grueling events but once you find your rhythm they are actually enjoyable. Not so the 5K. It's pain from start to finish.

The key is pacing your run just right. At the beginning I would run the first 2km slightly slower to hold back some energy for the last kick. However I have since changed my tactics and now go hard from the start as my competitive edge often keeps me going at the end. That may not work for all.


My times started out around the 24 minute mark before quickly coming down to the 20's. From this point on it became harder and harder to get that elusive PB. At the end of last year I managed to crack 20 minutes which had always been my ultimate goal. With a couple of freak efforts I then managed to get down to 19:21 where I have now been stuck for the last nine months. 

There are so many factors that go into a good run. Diet, fatigue, flexibility, alcohol consumption, weather, injury, anxiety, sleep.... the list goes on. The strange thing is that often on the mornings I feel good I under perform while on those I aim to see how it goes I do well.

This year I have set myself the target of getting below 19 minutes. I would settle for another PB but I would love to knock even just one second off the 19 minute mark. I never though I would break 20 but I have now gone under 12 times so it should be possible with the right training.


Speed training is what I need. Short, fast runs, intervals, hill training and shuttles. I get some of this on Monday nights at my club; Parklands Jog & Run, but I need to incorporate more into my weekly runs. I'm also cutting back on alcohol and working on my core strength. Aside from that I think it is just a case of running through the pain.

This week I ran hard. I went off towards the head of the group and managed to complete the first mile in 6:13, close to a 1 mile PB. My muscles were nicely warmed up from the run to the park and I felt good starting the second mile. As I came up the back straight I could feel myself slowing as my legs began to tire, I kept an eye on the person in front and tried to reel them in.

The second mile brings everyone back past the start to cheers from the stewards. This gave me a lift and I managed to move up a position. I finished this mile slower than the first in 6:39 but hadn't been overtaken and was closing in on the pack ahead. By now I was breathing hard and having to pump with my arms to keep my cadence high.


At that point a friend of mine came charging past. I tried to stay with him but couldn't hold on. Gritting my teeth I entered the final half mile pushing hard. The group was closer now but I knew I couldn't catch them. They had begun to string out and I tried to stick with the back marker.

My lungs now burning and sweat dripping from my forehead I sprinted towards the line dredging up the remaining energy in my muscles. I completed the last mile in 6:26, exactly half way between the speed of the first and second miles. The tag I was given with my place on showed that I had finished 14th out of a field of 232 and third in my age group of 35-39. My final time was 19:49.

I'm away next week and will miss my weekly fix. For the rest of the summer I will be looking to maintain my times under the 20 minute mark and then push for the PB in the autumn when it is a bit cooler. To give myself a little more motivation (like I need it) I have resolved not to shave until I break 19:21. So if you see me with a full beard this time next year you know I haven't been training hard enough.


Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge