Thanet Marathon - Crisps save the day

My first road marathon in some time took place in Thanet, the north-east part of Kent, on Sunday 2nd September. I completed the Cliff Top Challenge over marathon distance back in June but that was more of an ultra course. I knew I was in good form having run well this year and wanted to test myself on a road course.

In the weeks before the race I was feeling good, getting the miles in and eating well. As the day approached I felt as though I would be able to hit 3:30 and maybe even go for a PB of sub 3:24. When the day rolled around, however, it was not to be.

The day was clear and warm, a bit too warm. When I arrived in Margate at 9:30 it was already in the 20's. The sun was high in the blue sky and I hadn't brought a hat.

The start was on the seafront in an area to the east of the town called Cliftonville. Registration was well organised and there was a good atmosphere among the 500 or so people who had gathered. Martin from MAF was also there as part of the 100 Marathon contingent.

Half the entrants were running the full marathon with the others were doing a half. The route consisted of three loops, the first just a couple of miles to the west and back to the start, the second took us all the way round to Ramsgate and back which completed the half marathon course. Finally the third loop went out to the west of Margate and back, another 13 miles.

We set off on time and I started about half way back hoping that I was behind the half marathon competitors and fastest marathon runners. I decided to aim for 8 minute miles which would put me on target for a 3:30, it seemed too hot to go any quicker. Soon I was alongside the 1:45 half marathon pacer - perfect. Over the first few miles I felt good and was banking seconds as the miles ticked round in an average of 7:50.

My head was getting hot and I was sweating heavily. I drank water at every opportunity and soon decided to wear my t-shirt as a bandana to keep the glaring sun off my head and neck. By 4 miles I was ahead of the pacer and running at a good, consistent pace when we approached an incline. AT this point I decided that rather than trying to power up it I would walk, have a drink, stretch and then carry on. This proved a good tactic which I employed at a couple of other sections. It resulted in me falling back from those around me but within half a mile I was ahead of them and feeling better for having stretched out.

Ramsgate was a nice scenic town to run through. It was full of people enjoying the sunshine, sitting down, drinking  cool drinks and eating ice creams. They looked at us as though we were all mad but did clap and encourage us to keep going. Approaching the start line at the end of the second loop the half marathon runners could see the end of their race. For me it was the half way point. My pace was excellent and I crossed 13.1 miles in 1:45 exactly. Unfortunately I also had a light headed moment. I felt drained, dizzy and weak and for a moment began to wonder if I should stop and claim the half marathon medal. Pride got the better of me though and after a glucose tablet and some more water I ran on.

From this point on it was tough and became a mental challenge as much as a physical one. I passed the tidal pool and the Turner Contemporary gallery feeling ok but with my times dropping to 8 and a bit minute miles and slowing. Others around me were also suffering. The heat was intense and now in the mid 20's with the sun beating down. The t-shirt/bandana was making me hot so I had to keep alternating it from a bandana to a t-shirt and back again.

The course followed the coastal path for 6 miles. Again people along the route were very supportive, clapping, encouraging and urging us forward. Myself and four others kept passing each other as we ran/walked this section, each hugging the left hand side where there was some shade.

At 19 miles we reached another water station and I was empty. I had bonked. I was seriously considering chucking it in and asking to be driven back to the finish. I began to contemplate the thought of telling people I was a DNF for the first time in my running career. No time, no t-shirt, no medal. As these thoughts were going around my mind the marshals were handing out gels. The last thing I wanted was sugar and I commented/complained at the lack of savoury snacks. This prompted one of the ladies to offer me a bag of her crisps which I accepted gratefully and promptly threw down my throat.

Immediately I felt better and determined to carry on for as long as I could. The next mile was a loop through a housing estate before the last 10k to the finish. I started my mantra "one foot in front of the other" and just a mile and 2 park runs to go".

The next 7 miles are a bit of a blur as all my energy was on moving my legs forward. I forgot about times and just aimed to finish even if I had to walk or crawl to the line. With three miles to go I began to perk up. I knew now that I would finish and this gave me a boost. My times began to improve and I passed the guys I had been swapping places with for 10 miles. My motivation for speeding up wasn't my finish time, it was simply that the quicker I ran the sooner it would be over.

Finally I passed the tidal pool, promising myself a dip after the race and then saw the finish line in the distance. I crossed the line in 3:48 which I was very happy with. A couple of bottles of Isotonics later I felt much better and even managed a few yoga stretches. I was 32nd overall.

Half an hour later I was in the tidal pool cooling my weary muscles and reflecting on the last four hours. It wasn't my best run, it wasn't even an enjoyable one due to the heat, but I had proved to myself that I had the determination and resilience to finish even when the heat, dehydration, tiredness and doubt tried to tell me otherwise. Next time I feel like that I will remember this experience and will draw on it to keep going. I don't think I was ever putting myself in danger by ignoring my body, but I had to balance being sensible with being strong and I feel that, with the help of a woman and her packet of crisps, I was able to do that.

Popular posts from this blog

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

A bridge too far?

The Druid's Challenge