(SPOILER ALERT) The one that I won


If you had ever told me that I would win a running race of any length, I would have laughed. But that is exactly what happened last weekend. I still can't believe it.

My friend had booked a place in the C2C Railway Children Ultra 50 mile event. Unfortunately he wasn't well enough to enter and so offered me the place if I would fundraise for the charity. I was keen to do so, as helping street children is a cause close to my heart. Railway Children work in Tanzania and India, both countries I have visited in the past and have experienced first hand the plight of such children.

It was just one week after my Man v Horse run over 24 miles in the South Wales mountains. I wasn't feeling at my freshest. The route was pretty uninspiring too. Although billed as 'The Essex Riviera', it basically took in the north bank of the Thames. Rain was forecast. I wasn't looking forward to it.

Despite my misgivings, I arrived in Upminster for the start. The race was being organised by XNRG who I have run with before when I completed the Pilgrim's Challenge and Druid's Challenge. They are excellent in every respect. Professional, friendly, knowledgeable, experienced. Course marking is always very good, checkpoints are well stocked and volunteers are always smiling and full of encouragement. It was to prove no different this time around.


Two events were taking place simultaneously. A 30 mile starting in Tilbury and the 50 mile from Upminster, both ending in Southend-on-Sea. Around 160 runners lined up for the 50 miler. We were set off in groups to spread out the field running through the town. I was in the third wave.

My goal was simply to finish. I set off at a steady, easy pace - 8.40 min/miles. We passed the Upminster Windmill and left the town following the Ingrebourne Way south towards the Thames. Passing Rainham we soon arrived at the 'coast' and took the Rainham to Purfleet path. 


The scenery was a combination of industrial and natural with neglected docks and landfill sites competing with RSPB reserves and beautiful countryside. At this point I was desperate to empty my bowels. Experience has taught me to take toilet paper with me so I dived into the bushes and emerged relieved and feeling much better. Sadly, during that time I saw half the field run past me. Even more sadly 100m further along the path I spotted a public toilet at the bird sanctuary!

We continued heading east with the wind at our backs. The sun was shining, but the heat was balanced by the cool breeze. Perfect running conditions. A variety of fantastic street art pieces lined the route with the concrete walls providing ample canvas for the talented artists.


The Queen Elizabeth II bridge loomed into view. We ran beneath the giant structure that carried commuters around the giant traffic jam that is the M25 from Essex to Kent.


Our next destination was Grays where there was a checkpoint. There were eight of these altogether, full of sweet and savoury snacks, water, juice and enthusiastic volunteers. I had caught up with the runners that passed me during my 'rest break' and figured I was in the top 20 or so runners. Top ten would be nice.   

We exited Grays and detoured around Tilbury Docks, through Tilbury itself and back onto the coastal path which is part of the London Loop. We ran past Tilbury Fort with an array of cannons facing towards the water.


The next section is a bit of a blur. I passed the marathon point in around 4 hours. I was hoping for a sub ten hour finish so that seemed fine and I felt strong. A heavy rainstorm also cooled me down. I was eating and drinking well and the lack of hills was a bonus.

By now I felt I must be top ten. That's when disaster struck. For 34 miles I had delayed listening to anything. That was to be a reward when I was tiring. I thought a podcast would see me through the next six miles leaving just ten miles to the finish. I put my earbuds in and found the latest episode of Running Commentary with Paul Tonkinson and Rob Deering. I was happily listening to their chat when I realised I hadn't seen an orange marker for a while. 


I carried on for half a mile and still no sign. Time to check the map. Turns out I had taken a wrong turn! Back I went, annoyed with myself, but relieved that I had noticed before going too far. On the correct route again, I soon came to the next checkpoint only to see around ten runners in there. Not that I was competing....but I thought if I don't stop here for long I could jump into the top ten. So much for just enjoying the run.

After stuffing sausage rolls in my mouth, refilling my water bottles and ramming chocolate bars in my bag I was off and this time at a faster pace. The rain returned and just in time for hitting the trails. My feet slipped on the boggy mud as I plunged through puddles. Thankfully I love this type of terrain and I convinced myself it would give me an advantage over those ahead, and behind. I was in full competitive mode now.



At this stage I was starting to catch the 30 mile entrants who had set off an hour earlier than us from Tilbury. I passed another couple of 50 milers too. Was top five possible?

Another checkpoint and I was told there might only be a couple of people ahead. Podium? Don't get carried away, I warned myself as I began to increase my pace to 8 min/miles. 

Out of nowhere another runner appeared from behind. His legs were covered in mud. He explained that he had got lost on the mud flats in the estuary above Canvey Island and had to wade through to get back on route. He ran on, too fast for me and I let him go. A couple of miles further on I saw him again at the last check point. He looked knackered. I decided not to stop, but to try and push through to gain an extra place.

I was just five miles from the finish with one, maybe two people ahead of me. How had I got in this position? All I knew was that I might as well give it everything and see what I could do.

Along the seafront linking Leigh-on Sea with Southend-on-Sea I spotted a runner ahead. He looked too quick for a backmarker from the 30 miler event, but he could be finishing strong. Or was he one of the 50 mile entrants ahead? I still felt strong and decided I should try and overtake him just in case. I didn't want to lose podium when it was right there for me.

As I pushed forward my legs responded and I was flying along well under 8 min/miles after 45 miles. How? I could see the famous pier ahead. At one mile in length, it is the longest pier in the UK. I wasn't sure where the finish line was, but it had to be around there surely. I made it my goal and as I came alongside the other runner I sped up to gap him. I was in full competitive mode now.

He didn't respond and my only fear now was that I would miss another marker. I reached the pier. My watch said 50 miles done. I was doing sub 7.30 min/miles and suffering. If I could just hang on. Left into Southend. Left again. Up the hill. Now right. Where was the finish? My lungs and legs were screaming and I had left it all out there. I was thinking of the book I had read recently about Ben Fogle and James Cracknell reaching the south pole. If they could ski 14 hours a day in -40 degrees, then I could run another mile.

Finally I saw the finish arch and crossed the line.

'Well done, first place' said the woman as she placed the medal around my neck. 

'What?' I panted, shocked. 

'First place. Great run.' She repeated.

'First?' I queried.

As I recovered and my breathing regulated it began to sink in. I had won a race. What followed was bizarre. Photographs with two trophies (first male and first male over 40), an interview with the local paper and a video recording with the race sponsor. 


On the train back to London, I could hardly take it in. Somewhere during that part of the race, when I was lost in the running, I had slowly made my way through the field. Despite taking a mile long detour, I had managed to outpace the others through a combination of shrewd tactical manoeuvres (short stops at checkpoints), good fuelling, and sheer determination, competitiveness and stubbornness.

Maybe it helped that I came into it with low expectations. The lack of pressure, favourable conditions and a good level of fitness played a part too. It is encouraging going into future events, not that I will place so well again, but that I am able to compete on my day.

Even if I never do as well again, this moment can't be taken away from me and it will be something I always remember.

*How I broke the race down: 

6.2 miles = first 10k done
12.5 miles = one quarter distance
13.1 miles = half marathon
17 miles = one third distance
20 miles
25 miles = half way
26.2 miles = marathon
30 miles
31 miles = 50k
34 miles = two thirds distance
37.5 miles = three quarters distance
40 miles
41 miles = 3 parkruns to go
44 miles = 10k to go
46 miles = a parkrun followed by the last mile to go
47 miles = you guessed it, 1 parkrun to go
49 miles = last mile
50 miles = where is the finish?!?
50.9 miles = I'm done 



Popular posts from this blog

Human v Horse

A bridge too far?

Great Lakeland 3 Day