2023 end of year review

A year of two halves. It started with me recovering from illness and ended with me in the same situation.

Rewind to January. I had been ill throughout the Christmas period and it took me a while to get back up to speed. My first long run was with Matt B along the Thames Down Link in the thick mud. The fifteen mile run ended at Box Hill and it felt great to be back on the trails again.

In February, with the weather still poor, Matt S and I did a marathon loop linking the green spaces around Bromley.

As spring sprang I had a spring in my step too. A return to the Lulworth Cove Ultra with both Matts in March resulted in a meeting with Magdalena who continued to inspire me throughout the year with her ultra running achievements. Oh, and she summited Everest in between. 

March included a fantastic run in the Chiltern Hills, a snowy adventure in the Peak District and a weekend on the Pennine Way conquering the Yorkshire Three Peaks.

Into April and a visit to the Lake District where Matt S and I completed the George Fisher Tea Round. 


May was a trip to the Cairngorms in Scotland and a run along the Speyside Way.

After the Bromley marathon in the winter we had pledged to return and run it again in the summer which we did in June, the trees now in full leaf and a completely different landscape. This time we ran it in the opposite direction. I followed this up with another run around the Bannau Brycheiniog horseshoe solo.

All of these trail runs were in addition to my usual local runs around London including leading tours around the sights and coaching.

During the summer I managed a long one with Phoebe from Lullingstone to Rochester, and covered the North Downs Way from Box Hill to Guildford, but otherwise it was a little warm for ultra running. 

September brought another trip to Wales, this time the north of the country with a two day running holiday with Matt S in the Berwyn and Carnedd ranges.

Matt S and I did manage a third Bromley Bimble in the autumn, I did a few London runs collecting Gorilla statues, Morph statues, and Snowman statues, but mental health issues, injury and illness meant the year ended on a low note.

Despite that I did manage over 2600 miles for the year - averaging over 50 miles per week - and completed the marathon distance 24 times.  

In 2024 I'll be back on the trails with a place already booked on the Lakeland Three Day in May. I also hope to get back to the Peak District and an overseas run in the Alps. As always my plan is to include strength training and more stretching into my routine, but I say that every year...

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge