Highland Trails part 2 - Cairngorm mountains


When I booked my trip to Scotland I wasn't sure what the weather would be like. I presumed that early May would likely be cloudy with showers, but not too cold. I prepared accordingly. It was a wonderful surprise then when I awoke on the second day of my trip to see blue skies and bright sunshine.

It was ideal conditions both to take in the views, and to run up into the mountains. That said, I packed all my kit as weather can be changeable once you reach the summits. I had my hat and gloves, waterproofs, compass, first aid kit and plenty of fuel and water.

In order to reach the Cairngorm mountains, ten miles away, I needed to first head to Aviemore which would mark the half way point. The Speyside Way which I had run to the north the day before also continued as far as this tourist town, so I picked up the trail by the bridge and headed south.


Immediately I was enveloped in thick pine woods. Another deer stood frozen at the sight of me before bounding away. Crows circled above the tree tops and cawed to one another. I marvelled at the variety of lichen, mosses and fungi that covered the tree bark, boulders and forest floor. Colours ranging from grey blue to bright green and fluorescent yellow. But no red squirrels unfortunately.


After an hour or so I crossed the River Spey and entered Aviemore. Once through a housing estate I soon returned to a more natural setting and began the six mile journey towards Glenmore, the base from which there is access to the mountains and ski resorts.

More gorgeous forest and soft trails led me to Loch Eilein. Another stunning setting with the mountains reflected on the still waters framed by a blue sky. Wonderful. Families were gathering for the day and floating on the water in kayaks. I longed to have my daughter with me, but that would have to wait for another day, perhaps when she is a little older.



Leaving the loch side, the forests opened up and the environment began to resemble a moor. The sun was full in the sky and I was feeling the heat, drinking plenty and wearing a hat to protect my bald head from burning. There were very few people on the paths, a few dog walkers, a couple of hikers. I was pretty much on my own and enjoying it.

Arriving at Loch Morlich I was suddenly not alone. It was a bank holiday weekend for the King's Coronation, and many people had decided that the good weather was an opportunity to get out of the house. Cars lined the road and scores of families were splashing in the water to cool down.


I stopped at a cafe to top up my liquids and have a coffee. It was time to head for the heights. I followed the road from Glenmore towards the ski lifts. The elevation began to kick in as the road climbed through the switchbacks. I arrived at the Cairngorm Mountain car park and chose a route to follow.

There were no trees now, simply scree and rocks. It was a mixture of run/walk as I rose higher and higher into the mountain terrain. I summited Cairn Lochan 1216ft and moved on to Stob Coire an t'sneachda 1176ft. Fiacaill a'Choire Chais 1141ft was next before the long climb up to Cairn Gorm 1245ft. The view from here was astounding. I could see a wind farm on the Moray Firth to the north and the mountains of the western highlands to the west. To the south Ben Macdui, the second highest mountain in Britain.







Snow still clung to crags at the top of the peaks, but the ski slopes were bare making it an easy descent. I raced to the bottom overtaking groups of hikers on the way. Once down I was spent, but I wanted to take a look at the nearby An Lochan Uaine or The Green Loch. It was a six mile out and back to the green waters and finished me off.



With 36 miles in my legs I wasn't sure I could manage the ten miles back. I decided to try and get to Aviemore from where I could find transport. No sooner had I started along the Logging Trail I realised it was not going to happen. Mentally and physically I was drained. Instead I managed to hitch a lift from a kind man called Steven who took me, not just to Aviemore but all the way to Boat of Garten.

Two days later I had managed to recover using a combination of locally brewed beer and pizza. I had caught up with some colleagues and had more meetings in the Glasgow Office. Rising early I managed to squeeze in a quick Glasgow run to see some of the fantastic street art and architecture.









Thank you Scotland. Until next time...

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge