Running year review 2022

It has Bean a good year

Last year I set the following goals for 2022:

  • 100 lifetime marathons. DONE 
  • A trail running weekend in the Brecon Beacons. DONE
  • The Pilgrim Challenge. DONE 
  • Peak 50 miler. DONE
  • Centurion Running One Slam event - 600 miles in 100 days.
  • Raising £2000 for the National Autistic Society. DONE
  • 2022 miles in the year. DONE
  • Print three new Shin Splintz magazines.
  • Have more articles published in Like the Wind articles. DONE
  • Coaching and tours. DONE
Eight out of ten targets hit. I didn't manage to produce any more editions of Shin Splintz, but I did manage to send off a manuscript for a running book to a publisher (watch this space), and get several more articles and poems published with Like the Wind magazine. I also decided not to chase the 600 miles in 100 days due to other commitments at the time.

Over the year I managed to hit the 2800 mile mark for the first time. This despite an injury in July and illness in December causing me to take a few weeks off.

In terms of distance I achieved my longest run to date - 100km (62 miles) when I finished third in the Lakeland Ultra in June.

Speed wise I managed a PB at 5k (17:54) and Marathon (3:10:02)

I didn't run as many parkruns as in the past, but it was good to complete my 300th and finish first at both Catford and Falls, Belfast.

Club wise, I left Your Pace Or Mine and joined Kent AC. They are based at Ladywell track between Lewisham and Catford. I took part in the sessions of Tuesday evenings and competed for them at the Bromley Midsummer Evening 10K and Assembly League 5k. 

It was also a good year for running tourism. Not only did I manage to run in all four of the home nations; England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, but I had a wonderful weekend in Chamonix running the trails - a bucket list item ticked off.

There are many places still on my list of running trails, mostly areas of outstanding natural beauty. During 2022 I enjoyed running in the following places:

It was disappointing, but not surprising that I didn't get into the London Marathon through the ballot. So once again I took part in the ehT Nodnol nohtaraM running the course in reverse. Matt Shimwell and Matt Brimble ran with me through the night

I've been offering running tours again with City Jogging Tours. It's great to show off the city I live in, sharing stories of the history and culture. I have had the privilege to run with people from the USA, Canada, Denmark, Germany and Israel.

Coaching has also been a big part of my running this year with Georgie, Cat, Sinead, Steven, Camilla, Rav and Carol. Three of them managed a marathon, two a half marathon and one an ultra. Intervals sessions were another highlight for me. A weekday evening doing fartleks, intervals and relays come rain or shine. 

Some of the long runs I planned and carried out in London included running the 33 bridges spanning the River Thames from Hampton Court to Tower Bridge, a marathon around Epping Forest, ten Christopher Wren churches, Thames to Dartford, street art trails, sculpture trails, and Christmas lights. 

A particular highlight was meeting one of my running heroes, Ben Parkes. Ben has a YouTube channel in which he advises on training, kit and all things running related, and his own clothing range. I knew he lived in Greenwich and was excited to bump into him along the Thames when he was filming.

I was accompanied through the year by two excellent podcasts; Running Commentary with Rob Deering and Paul Tonkinson and Running is BS. Music was also a big part of my runs. See my 2022 playlist.

The main aim of the year was to raise awareness and funds for the National Autistic Society. My #Ultras4autism campaign brought in £2156 for people like my daughter Isla. Thank you to all who gave and especially those who were able to attend the quiz night and raffle. If you would like to give the page is open until the end of the year.

My thoughts are already turning to 2023. I'm entered into the Ultra Trail Snowdonia (UTS) in May, and have a training weekend in Wicklow planned. Other places I hope to get to include the Lake District and Peak District again, the Mendip Hills, the Scottish Western Isles, and the Pennines. 

In terms of overseas, East Africa looks likely as I have a work trip there in the summer. I'd also like to get to the Alps or Pyrenees during the Tour de France and maybe Scandinavia. I also have 10k and Half Marathon PBs to chase.

Here are some photos from the best parts of my year in running. 

Lulworth Cove

Pilgrim's Challenge

Pen-y-fan, Brecon Beacons

Brecon Beacons with Matt S

Night trail running

Loch Lomond

Interval coaching

Lake District Challenge

Getting lost in the Surrey Hills

Street Art by Zabou

Vanguard Trail

Climbing Snowdon

Chamonix

Nodnol nohtaraM with the Matts

Meeting Ben Parkes

Peak District - Limestone 50

Running tours

Popular posts from this blog

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

A bridge too far?

The Druid's Challenge