My top 10 running songs 2022

Here are my top running tracks of 2022 in no particular order. Click on the link to hear in YouTube.

10 - Diamond in the dark by Liam Gallagher

Nonsense lyrics, but delivered with that cocky sneer. With those melodies, who cares about the words. 

"I'm shining like a diamond in the dark
I'm floating like a lion in the ark
I'm walking (I sing running) 'round in circles through the park
And no tough talk will erase you." 

Check out - I'm free.

9 - Rainbows by Grant Swarbrooke

Guaranteed goose bumps with this acoustic ballad. No idea who this guy is, he seems quite enigmatic. His drawling, heartfelt delivery of "We're gonna fly (I sing run) to a place that's out of this town" keeps me pounding the road imagining I'm in a film and this song is the soundtrack.

Check out - I haven't listened to any of his other stuff yet.

8 - My eyes adored you by Frankie Valli

I went to see the musical Jersey Boys earlier in the year. I never realised how many Frankie Valli songs I knew, or how good they are. This is my favourite.

Check out - Sherry, I can't take my eyes off of you 

7 - Mermaid by Skott

My find of the year. Heard this via an Insta post and now I have her album on loop. What a voice. A bit Lana Del Ray in a good way. Some high notes, but doesn't stop me trying to reach them.

Check out - Darling and anything off the album Always live for always.

6 - Lawman by Gilla Band

Great to vent to, this techno / rock crossover band give it everything to a driving 125 beats per minute. Bam, bam, bam, bam, bam... "I used to be good looking".

Check out - Post Ryan 

5 - Footnotes on the map by Jessie Buckley and Bernard Butler

These songs aren't ranked in order, but if they were, this would be at number 1. Heard by chance at the Mercury Awards which they were nominated for. Heavenly melody, delicious voice and beautiful lyrics. The most uplifting song I think I've ever heard. Glorious. Just keeps rolling and makes you want to run forever. They were robbed by Mercury 2022 winner Little Simz who I also adore - see my 2019 choices 

4 - Sal Fina by Sara Hebe

Wouldn't be my top 10 without some Latin vibes. Cumbia beats topped with Hebe's rapping. Hard to run and dance at the same time, but this track always makes me try. Fantastic video.

Check out - I only like this one of hers.

3 - Bir Kardesim by Derya Yildirim and Grup Simsek

Recommended by a friend, I have really enjoyed this song. An outer-national band from Turkey, Germany, France and the UK, they blend 'Anatolian folk and contemporary grooves with psychadelia and progressive rock flavours'. Something for everyone then.

Check out - new album Dost 2

2 - Ides of July by Ona

Some Americana. A meandering, 90's-esque indie song with added brass. Not my usual thing, but it is a great accompaniment to a long distance run when the sun is up and you're in the zone. The bridge is "Are you running?" repeated 12 times. Yes, yes I am bl**dy running!

Check out - no idea what else they've done.

1 - I love you by Fontaines DC

This band have been my favourite all year. I eventually had the opportunity to see them at the Hammersmith Apollo in November where they didn't disappoint. Tough to choose a track from new album Skinty Fia. Every track is sublime, but this one gets me singing every time.

Check out - everything they have ever done, but if I had to choose one other it would be In ar gCroithe go deo (they're Irish).

All of these songs are from the second half of the year. For the tracks that accompanied me in the first six months listen to:

  • Unmade by Thom Yorke
  • Little Star by Stina Nordenstam
  • NO! by Poppy Ajudha
  • Taking me back by Jack White
  • Beautiful Life by Michael Kiwanuka
  • Jupiter by Marcus Intalex
  • 1 thing by Amerie
  • Fanciable Headcase by King of the slums
  • Everybody loves you by SOAK
  • Saoko by Rosalia
  • Dame Bien by Mala Rodriguez
  • Lemonade by Sophie
  • The Giver by Duke Dumont
  • Sideways (feat Zion I) by Bassnector, Louis Futon, Zion I
  • Who's gonna be the GOAT by De Staat
  • Distance by Apashe, Buunshin, Geoffroy

Popular posts from this blog

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

A bridge too far?

The Druid's Challenge