The Lake District Challenge


Last weekend I headed up to the Lake District for my latest #ultras4autism run raising awareness and funds for National Autistic Society. The Lake District Challenge is organised by Action Challenge as part of their Ultra Challenge Series. Other venues include Yorkshire, Cotswolds, Isle of Wight, Jurassic Coast Peak District and the Chilterns.

This was a 100km loop starting and finishing in Kendal. The route would take us out around Lake Windermere and Ambleside with over 8000 feet of elevation.

The longest distance I had previously run was 50 miles. This was during my aborted Capital Ring run with Matt Shimwell. My goal was to finish in under 15 hours. With a start time of 7am this would mean coming in before it was dark.

I travelled up on the Friday and booked into a fantastic independent hostel called, appropriately enough, Kendal Hostel. Turned out I had a dorm to myself which meant I could lay out my clothes and get a good night's sleep.

First though it was time to explore, and what better way to do that than a pre-run run. Kendal has two castles - well it did have. My route took me through the town, across the River Kent over Miller Bridge and up to Kendal castle on the north side. The ruins look out over the town and the entire wall and one of the towers remain standing. It was built in the early 1200s and is the younger of the two castles.

I returned the way I had come, crossed the river again, continued through the town and up the hill on the south side. Half an hour was spent in Serpentine Woods on the alphabet trail looking for sculptures. I found a few before realising a hilly trail run wasn't the best preparation for a 100k ultra. I descended to Castle Howe which dates from 1092. There is little to see apart from the moat although an obelisk was erected there in 1788 to celebrate the centenary of the Revolution.

A quiet night prepared me for an early start. I had to be there for 6:30 and it was a mile and a half walk. Time for a quick shower and breakfast before double checking I had everything in my hydration vest.

  • Water bottles, filled, one water, one hydration solution.
  • Trail bars
  • Salty nuts
  • Headtorch
  • Sunglasses
  • Vaseline
  • Cap
  • Suncream
  • First Aid Kit
  • Waterproof jacket
  • Kendal Mint Cake!
  • Phone
When I arrived I was given my timing code which needed scanning at every checkpoint. We were corralled into the start area in a field to the north of the town. At 7am we set off north towards Garnett Bridge. 


We followed the River Sprint upstream as far a Longsleddale through fields of sheep and lambs, an over-keen Irish Wolfhound and a couple of asses. Given my previous experiences with gate opening I was glad to have people around me to lend a hand.

Two headed ass

We arrived at the first checkpoint in Longsleddale. The weather was perfect, overcast and dry. It was muggy and I was perspiring heavily which meant drinking more than usual. I managed to get through a litre every 10k during the day. The food on offer was incredible; pastries, hot drinks, cold drinks, fruit, chocolate bars, and cereal bars. I wasn't hungry yet, but had a banana and Freddo to be on the safe side.


My gate openers



A group of us had formed and we were taking it steady. I was aiming for five miles an hour over the flat and was spot on. We were at 6 miles and I felt good.

The next stage was the hilliest of the day with three big climbs. At this point I began to feel some pain in my left achilles and right shin. I decided to treat both as niggles and nothing serious and so it turned out. So often what feels like an injury is just your body grumbling to make you stop. Not always, but you learn to understand your physical symptoms better with time.



It was a 12 mile stage through to Ambleside and there was a third of the total elevation to cover. Steep stony paths meant screaming quads and calfs, but the views across the fields of buttercups to Lake Windermere below more than made up for it.

There was rolls, crisps and more snacks at Ambleside. I took an egg roll and carried on walking, moving ahead of the group. We were now on a flat part alongside the lake and it was good to stretch out the legs and do some proper running. The woodland paths were soft underfoot and provided some cool shade when the sun made an appearance. I stopped for a wee and noticed a tupperware box stuffed in a crevice behind a boulder. Was it loot? Drugs? Boris Johnson's conscience? No, turns out it was a geo-cache. I would have added my name but the contents were soaking wet. I returned it and carried on.




Another steep climb and a short descent brought us to another checkpoint. This time we were in for a treat - Pic'n'mix! Shrimps, jelly babies, fried eggs, mint imperials and more were there along with pink and white striped bags to fill. I didn't fancy them, but filled a bag anyway and brought it home for Isla. Free pic'n'mix - I'm not going to turn that down.


A final five mile stretch through woods to the south end of the lake and we were half way - 50k or 31 miles. My legs felt strong still and Matt who was tracking me let me know I was in 6th place. Now my thoughts turned from just finishing to finishing top five. Thanks Matt.

Despite my desire to push on I knew I needed to eat or I would run out of energy in the second half. Thankfully Action Challenge provide cooked meals, so I sat down to a large portion of Spaghetti Bolognese, bread rolls and salad, all washed down with a cup of coffee. Ultras aren't like other running events.


As I left the checkpoint I noticed two others who were doing the full distance still having their meal. I was up to 4th... Unbelievable. Now I had the pressure behind me. If I could just keep ahead of them I would be well chuffed.

The next section was up and down in terms of the elevation, but with no big hills. I was running alone and started to break the remaining miles into sections. A marathon and a parkrun or five 10ks, or six parkruns and a half marathon. I hadn't listened to any tunes or podcasts yet and promised myself them as a reward towards the end. I continued to drink and eat regularly. I still felt ok.

Just in case



I was about two miles from Grange Over Sands checkpoint and had finished my water. Despite drinking litres of the stuff I had only done one small wee so I knew I needed to drink more. I had stopped sweating too which is always a sign of dehydration. I spotted a pub called Heft. Those that know me will know that I have no shame, and I walked straight up to the bar, past the lunchtime drinkers, and asked them to refill my flasks. They were happy to do so and even offered use of the 'facilities' which I declined for their benefit.

Unauthorised checkpoint

Back on track and I was soon at yet another buffet for the senses. More Freddos, nuts, some pineapple and orange chunks and straight on to the penultimate hilly stage, nine miles to Witherslack. This included two brutal climbs that drained my legs. On the plus side there were views across to the Irish Sea.

On the way back down I took my eye off the well marked signage and suddenly realised I hadn't seen a pink arrow marker for a while. I carried on for half a mile and then checked the route on the app. Sure enough I'd missed a turning. Going back up that hill could have really knocked my morale, but I tried to see the funny side and retraced my steps. It could have been worse I could have gone even further without realising.

At Witherslack I asked a medic to take a look at my right foot. On the descent I had felt some discomfort under the ball of my foot, as though the sock was folding. I'd checked and the wet sock had caused my skin to wrinkle and a blister was starting to form. I had put a plaster on but needed some proper dressing. A blister could finish my race. She also noticed two of my toes forming quite big blisters but I couldn't feel them and let them be.

Fed, watered and strapped up I left just as three others came in behind me. I saw 4th place slipping away. I urged myself to run faster. 20k to go or 12 miles or 4 parkruns and a top 5 finish. Actually Matt informed me I was now in third and second male. Even more incentive to press on. I was also within reach of a sun 13 hour finish. So much for just finishing and not being competitive!

Over the next nine miles I did some of my fastest miles - even going below 9 minutes a couple of times. Apart from one steep climb it was pretty flat and I knew if I ran some of the climb I would extend my lead on those behind who may have walked. At one point I was overheating and spotted a small waterfall. I soaked my hat in the water and sloshed it on my head - heaven.


The final checkpoint was a stop and go to refill flasks and thank the marshals. I was now among the 90k markers. 91, 92, 93, 94, 95...........where was 96..........96?........another big hill, one of the steepest of the day but the last one. The wind tearing across the escarpment and threatening to blow me off the edge. Keep moving, it's as bad for everyone else, 96??? Kendal ahead of me. Am I still on route? Yes there is a pink arrow. Am I really going that slowly?


No idea


98. Few! 96 and 97 had either been blown away or eaten by cows. I had already rescued one bovine kamikaze intent on chewing a pink flag on a wire that had been planted as a signpost. Maybe they were aiming to sabotage the race to stop all the lycra clad goons disturbing their peaceful weekend.

The last 2k were all downhill. Soon I could see Morrisons supermarket, behind which was the finish line. But what's this? There is no one there. I ran towards the inflated finish banner and an empty field. What happened? Had the race been called off? Was this the right finish line? Surely there wasn't another event on.

A man wandered out of a nearby marquee on the other side of the field and looked up in horror. He sprinted over to the finish after I had crossed the line and was having a stretch. Sorry, he said, we weren't expecting you yet. He handed me a medal and offered a glass of bubbly (which I declined. Bubbly after running 100k is a recipe for disaster). He kindly took my photo and showed me where I could get a meal and a massage.


30 seconds later I was on the massage table. That done, I had some food and then the organisers kindly paid for a taxi back to my hostel. I told them I would walk but they wouldn't let me which I thought was very generous. As the taxi drove me back the rain started to fall and I thought of all those still out on the course, some of whom would be walking through the night.

I had finished third and second male out of 228 finishers in a few minutes under 13 hours. I was just seven minutes behind the woman in front and over an hour ahead of the chasing pack. I never did use my headphones.


My head felt groggy and I was beginning to stiffen up, but I've felt worse after a hard marathon. It had been a fantastic event in beautiful scenery with wonderful people. I showered, dressed and enjoyed a pint of ice cold Guinness. 


Would I do it again? Probably. Would I recommend Action Challenge? Definitely. Would I do a 100 miler?......

Thank you to all who have given on my #ultras4autism Just Giving page. This is just one of many ultra marathons I am running this year to raise awareness and funds for National Autistic Society to help people like my daughter Isla. If you haven't given yet please consider doing so, it will make a huge difference to those with Autism and their families.

www.justgiving.com/ultras4autism

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge