The folly of getting lost in the Surrey Hills


Sometimes my job takes me around the country. This year I have been fortunate enough to go to Belfast and Glasgow. This week it was closer to home - Surrey.

As always work and play go hand in hand, and so I arranged to get there early and do a little run before my meetings.

The Surrey Hills don't have the elevation of the Cairngorms or the Lakes, but they do offer some stunning views over the rolling countryside of the south of England.

One trail that passes through there is the Greensand Way. I aimed to arrive in Cranleigh, where I was due to meet some of our staff, and then head up into the hills and connect with the route. I would head east and then return along the same path. Best made plans....

As I have mentioned before, map reading and route following are not my strong points. Nor is spotting trail markers. As a result I ended up on and off (more off than on) the official Greensand Way. The sun became my main tool for knowing if I was heading in the right direction and my internal compass (questionable) the other.

The first part was a breeze. I found a closed road and the workmen let me run through which meant a traffic free one mile road climb to the top of the hill. It was a scorching day and leaving at 11 didn't help matters. I managed to find the Greensand marker and set off eastwards.





Before long I was off the track, but carried on taking whatever path looked the most fun and still went roughly the right way. I ascended and then descended steeply through Hurtwood passing a windmill and getting anice south facing view. The wood was full of thick leafed trees, splayed ferns seeking whatever light hit the floor beneath the canopy, flowers and giant tree roots.



As I emerged from the trees I found myself in a small village called Peaslake. The Greensand was meant to go along the hill top, but I'd managed to add some descent and ascent and therefore elevation. I knew I needed to go back up and took a different road. To my surprise I managed to arrive at the first view point - Holmbury hill - with it's Cairn and the ruins of an iron age period hill fort. Holm meaning hill and Bury meaning fortified place.



I set off again back down hill and picked up the Greensand. Not long after I missed another turning and again descended too far. I was now at the edge of a field of green wheat. I spotted a footpath and followed it. This soon turned into a narrow path, then an animal track and then hit a barbed wire fence.

What to do? Well, if there is a fence you just have to go over it. I used a couple of tree branches to pull myself up and vaulted over. Another field and this time no footpath. I decided to skirt the edge and hope something would turn up. 

As I passed an old oak tree I noticed something leaning against the trunk. It was a metal ladder. It was secured to the tree with chains and had a seat mounted on the top. I had seen similar things by Loch Lomond, but still don't know what or whom they are for. It was now 1pm and the cloudless sky was enabling the sun to turn me a nice shade of scarlet. In the trees it was cool, but once I was in the open the heat was intense.




I decided to climb the ladder, sit in the seat and have something to eat while admiring the view. Baled hay was scattered around the field and I could see for miles to the south. A call came in. I answered to be informed by a lawyer that I was now divorced. I sat there for a while taking in the momentous news, in a field, in Surrey with only butterflies, bees and a loud pheasant for company. I couldn't think of a better place to hear the news, I felt at peace.

Moving on I climbed a gate and headed away from the farmhouse for fear of being asked how I came to be in the field. Soon I was climbing again and then another sign for the Greensand Way. Phew, back on track. I followed the trail until I hit a road and it disappeared. Time to improvise again. I passed over a stile and continued East by the sun's direction. Despite having 5G my phone could not access the internet.


Another long climb through deep ruts and tangled roots brought me to a clearing and Leith Hill. A huge Gothic tower dominated the top offering stunning views. It is the highest point in south-east England. To my surprise and amazement there was a cafe located in the base of the tower. I was almost out of water and had been rationing my intake despite the heat. I bought a coffee and asked the woman to fill my flasks, tipping what was left over my head.




Time for another break. I ate a snack and finished my coffee. 12 miles in and I was hoping to manage a marathon. My legs were tired from all the climbing and the heat was making it tough going. I set off and descended rapidly. Sadly (will I never learn) this meant missing another marker and losing the Greensand Way again. It was fun though.

I skipped down the hill passing groups of red backpack lugging teenagers with maps navigating their way through the head high ferns. I admired them being out on such a lovely day, their ability to navigate and help one another. On the other hand getting lost was way more enjoyable.

Another steep climb and steady descent and I expected to be back in Peaslake. No such luck. I emerged in Gomshall. I took advantage of a petrol station to buy some more water and a Twix and managed to get onto Google Maps. Now I knew where I was. I needed to head south and had about an hour to get back to the car.

There were some interesting sites here, horses, a bus shelter containing a library, a postbox from the George VI era, a street names Heathrow and another called Walking Bottom. Eventually I found myself back in Hurtwood and loved the shade the trees offered. I was pretty knackered by now and wanted to get the last six miles over with. Just 2 parkruns to go, I encouraged myself.






Up through the woods and then down the other side on a very steep track. I expected to come out at the golf course near my car, but there was no sign. I followed a road, trying to keep as close to the verge as possible as there were no paths and cars weren't slowing down around the tight bends. I knew it wasn't safe, but had no choice but to keep going.

Eventually I came to a T-Junction and asked a driver the way to Cranleigh. She pointed left and on I went, now on an A road! Finally a sign for Cranleigh. Something made me check Google Maps again and, sure enough, that would take me to the wrong side of the village. Thankful to spare myself the extra distance I turned north up an even smaller and more busy road which I recognised as the one I had driven along that morning.

It is fun to get lost but after 25 miles in the summer sun you just want to know where you are. Another couple of corners and I was back at the car. The watch said 26.1 miles so I had to do an extra few metres to clock up the full distance. 

Completely spent, I climbed into the car and headed to my meeting. Thankfully I had already cleared it with them that I could use their shower before we started!

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge