Sectarian street murals


Belfast. The Troubles. Loyalist. Republican. Division.

For many years this was the image of Northern Ireland. Sadly it led to the loss of many lives and the stirring of hatred, distrust, blame, revenge and bigotry.

I'm not educated or experienced enough to comment on any of this. I am thankful that some sort of peace has come. However, the evidence of how recently this conflict raged is still there for all to see.

Among the wonderful creative pieces of modern street art you can still see the political and historical messages painted on walls across the divided communities of the City. Here are some images. Please forgive me if I have misconstrued any of these.










I felt two emotions on seeing these. One was a sadness that these murals help perpetuate the conflict, if not on the streets, then in people's hearts and minds. The other that hope that these days will not return, and that on that day I could run safely between areas flying the red, white and blue Union Jack and areas with the orange, white and green Bratach na hEireann or Tricolour without fear.

There were some other pieces of street art that sent a different message. I hope more of these will eventually replace the murals of both sides.



Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge