Kempton Marathon PB


I've made it an aim this year to break my PBs at all distances. I managed my 5k a few weeks ago. Next up was the marathon. With summer coming up I had to get in quickly or wait until the autumn. As my fitness is at a good level and you never know when you may pick up an injury I signed up for the Kempton Marathon on May 29th. A risk of heat, but a pancake flat course.

On the day is was cool but sunny. I arrived at the Kempton racetrack early and picked up my number, handed in my bag and grabbed a coffee. There weren't too many people around considering there were three events taking place, a 10k, half marathon and marathon.

At 9.15 we were invited to assemble in order of estimated finish time. A man dressed as a traffic cone attempted to motivate us all by playing Agadoo which failed dismally. We all wanted to get going rather than dance.

We set off and it was a relatively clear start with less than 500 people taking part. I soon found myself behind two men running at a consistent 7 minute mile pace and tucked in behind them to shelter from the stiff breeze on the out lap. 

My goal was to run between 7 and 7.30 minute mile pace consistently to finish around 3.15. My previous PB being 3.23. I figured that range would bring me in somewhere between 3.04 and 3.17 depending on how well I maintained my speed. 

I'd done some track sessions to practice running at that pace but for no more than 11 miles. In fact it had been over a month since I had run further than half marathon distance. I was confident and felt strong, but there were considerable unknowns.

The course was a winding one around the racetrack on tarmac with a couple of soft areas where we crossed the main course. Each lap was 6.5 miles meaning a four lap total for marathon runners.

I managed to stick with the two guys ahead of me for the first two laps, it was hard going with the sun beating down and a head wind, but the energy saved from using the men ahead as a shield made it worthwhile sticking with them. We were maintaining around 7.10 pace consistently. It also saved me looking at my watch as I could use them as pacers.

On lap three they pulled away as I started to tire. It was getting hotter. I knew I was at risk of overcooking it on the first half and needed to drop the pace a little. I also needed the loo - damn that coffee. I pulled into a small wooded area and felt much better afterwards, worth the 30 seconds lost. Likewise when at the drinks stop I asked if they had any food and a marshal called Phil gave me a packet of biscuits from his lunch - bless you Phil! This gave me renewed energy and prevented the bonk I had felt coming closer.


Lap four and I was still on for a good time, but suffering. I needed salt and fast. Having run so many ultra marathons I'm used to fuelling on the run, especially salty snacks. I hadn't worn a back pack and was relying on drinks stations, but all they had was water and electrolytes. The marshals I asked seemed nonplussed when I asked about possible rehydration tablets.

A last minute decision saw me leave the course and run up to the burger van in the grandstand. "Do you have any salt?" I gasped. The poor woman looked at me puzzled. "Salt?" Yes, just a handful of salt" I spluttered, sweat dribbling into my eyes. More out of fear than anything she grabbed a container and poured some into my palm. I took a big lick and raced away shouting a thank you over my shouler. I did later return and explain and thank her.

Now, with sugar and salt levels restored and a cup of water over the head and another to wash everything down I was ready for the last 10k. I upped my pace confident that I was able to finish strong. I was on my own with no one else in sight ahead or behind me. It was all down to mental and physical guts.

I had started with three targets; bronze was sun 3.23, silver sub 3.15 and gold sub 3.10. Was I on for gold? I wasn't sure but I decided just to give it everything. I'd come 20 miles, what was two more parkruns?

As the lap progressed it clouded over to my relief and I managed to up my pace to just over 7 minute miles. Seven and a halfs would have done for silver, but I was chasing gold. I spotted one of the two men I was with at the start about 400m in front and aimed to catch him. A woman overtook me and I tried to keep up but she pulled away.

With two miles to go I went for it, all out. It would be two of the most painful marathon miles I have run, but I knew pain from my 5k PB and I had endured that for three miles. Made sense at the time!

Last 50m, the girl seems to find my pain hilarious!

Gradually I caught and overtook the man in front. I was gaining on the woman too. A mile to go and everything hurt, my breathing was erratic and my heart rate high. As we entered the grandstand area with less than half a mile to the finish I passed her and kept pushing. There was a finicky section of traffic cones that led you around the car park past those who had finished the 10k and half marathons and were drinking their coffees and looking at their medals. That would be me soon, just don't slow down, so close.

Eventually I turned the corner and saw the finish. I crossed the line and grabbed the barrier for support, sweat and spittle dripping from my head. What a state to get in, but it was over. I collected my medal and an impressive goody bag containing water, grape juice, soda, vitamin tablets, oat milk, and hot chocolate sachets.

My first job was to apologise and thank the burger van lady. Next I told the Race Director about Phil's kindness out on the course. Then I collected my bag, had a coffee and sat on the floor to stretch. The woman I had overtaken at the end was also there. Turns out she had a baby 3 months ago! Some people are amazing athletes. It was good to put my achievement into perspective. 

I was pleased with my time though, 3.10.02 chip time. Strangely enough the two seconds doesn't both me. I think it would have been different if it was 3.00.02. I count that as a gold and a new PB. Can't ask for more than that.

So now the half marathon and 10k await. I'm not sure I will do a fast marathon again. I'm happy to take that time to the grave. I never thought I would beat four hours. Then I thought 3.30 was out of reach. To get sub 3.15 is a dream. A sub 3 isn't for me - too much sacrifice. And pain. I'll stick the the ultras and their well stocked picnic tables.

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge