Divis and Falls parkrun


A weekend in Northern Ireland. A chance to see the local street art in Belfast, more in Bangor, sectarian street murals and, as my visit to Belfast was at a weekend, the opportunity to parkrun there - yes it is a verb too. It would be my 295th parkrun, but the first in Northern Ireland.

There are seven to choose from and I selected based on aesthetics rather than number of attenders or how fast the courses are. This meant I had a choice between Colin Glen and Falls. I plumped for Falls as it was scenic and hilly - I like a hill.

My aim that day was also to climb Divis, a 1568 feet high hill overlooking the city. The choice was to do Divis first before parkrun, or after parkrun. As I wasn't bothered about doing a fast parkrun, and as rain was predicted later in the morning, I headed to Divis at 6.30am.

I snuck out of the shared Hostel dorm as quietly as I could manage while they all slept off their hangovers. The route took me out to the north-western edge of Belfast, along the Shankhill Road with it's sectarian murals, and up to the moorland where the climb began in earnest.




The road became trail and headed steeply upwards, curving right and left, right and left, through gates and into a soft mist. The temperature began to fall, but soon I could see the transmitter on the summit. After timorously passing some attentive cows I finally reached the top seven miles and 75 minutes later.

There was a view although not a clear one. I could see the city centre and the River Lagan heading out past the docks and towards the sea. Now I had to get down and find the parkrun before 9am. It was almost 8 o'clock.

The good think about running back from a hill top is that it's pretty much all downhill, and so it was. Fifteen minutes early I arrived at Falls Park and even had time for a coffee. But. The park was empty. No sign of anyone least of all runners. Oh dear. There wasn't time to get to another course. Had it been cancelled?

Turns out parkrun in Northern Ireland starts at 9:30am. Phew. 

Gradually people began to arrive. Volunteers smiled and greeted me, and I was shown into a nearby building where I could leave my pack. There I met two ladies from Glasgow who were over on a daughter's hen do. Marie (in black) was doing her 20th different parkrun. Later that day I would see them pedalling and drinking on one of Belfast's Party Bikes - a tram like vehicle with 10 exercise bikes around a table with on tap beer available. 

The effervescent Run Director Debbie Walsh had a huge smile on her face and made everyone feel welcome as we gathered at the start line which was helpfully painted on the path. After a brief cheer for first timers and volunteers and a reminder of the rules we were off.




I started near the front to give myself room and soon found myself fifth, but not having to expend much energy to stay there. I reminded myself this isn't a race and to enjoy the park scenery. It was a beautiful place with sculptures, mature trees now in fresh, green spring leaf, football pitches and a wooded trail.

We did the first smaller lap of about 1km and I was now third. The route now headed uphill around the football pitches and the tempo increased. I still felt good though and stayed with it, running well within myself. 

Coming down the far side the others slowed a little as they recovered from the hill and I kept my tempo which took me out in front. I was nervous as I didn't know the rest of the loop, but I soon heard feet fast approaching accompanied by legs, arms, a body and a head. It was a local runner named Paddy Molloy.

We ran together for the rest of the larger 2km lap and even managed to chat a little before the pace made that uncomfortable. The last 2km lap was a repeat of the previous one taking us back up to the football pitches. I began to push a little, my competitive nature coming through despite all my intentions to just enjoy the run.

Paddy hot on my heels

My legs felt strong despite the 14 miler to Divis and back, and I soon began to stretch my lead. 

It's not a race! But it was. The chance to be first finisher was on. 

By the top of the hill I couldn't hear Paddy, but I knew he had caught me on the downhill last time around so I kept pushing. No sign. Keep pushing, don't come second now. 

Finally the finish was in sight and I crossed the line in 19:44. Only my second ever first finisher place and both in the last month. Paddy followed shortly after. I scanned my barcodes and collected my bag before cheering the Glasgow girls over the line.

I'm please I chose Falls parkrun. Not because I ran well, but because the people were so welcoming and friendly. I mean, they are at most parkruns, but I was thankful to have met the people I did that morning; those I spoke to, those who volunteered - thank you Marshals, the Run Director, Paddy, the Glasgow Hens. Thank you

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge