Pilgrim's Progress


 Last year I helped to crew the XNRG Druid's Challenge. One day I was on a checkpoint and the next tail running. I was very impressed by the way it was organised, the atmosphere and the professional yet welcoming vibe. I signed up for their Pilgrim's Challenge in February 2022. 

This became the first of my #ultras4autism, a challenge I have set myself to raise awareness and funds for the National Autistic Society in 2022.

The Pilgrim's Challenge involves a two-day, 66 mile run along the North Downs from Farnham to Redhill on the first day, and back again the next. In-between, participants stay overnight in a school where food and showers are provided and a talk is given by Marathon de Sables runners.

I arrived at 8am on the Saturday morning where I was welcomed, given a timer/tracker for my wrist and sent off. It was a rolling start, and as I headed off under the start banner I could see other runners ahead of me on the route heading east.

We skirted around the golf club and began a gentle climb through Totford Wood, through Puttenham (mentioned in Huxley's Brave New World), past another golf club and then under the A3. Now five miles in I was starting to settle into the run after feeling very rough at the beginning. 

My lungs had been gurgling and I'd been coughing up phlegm during the week leading up to the race. I tested negative for COVID and so had arrived with the thought that I would just take it one checkpoint at a time.

Guildford appeared to our left as we ran through Lesley Estate Nature Reserve and Piccard's Rough. A bridge over the River Wey provided a good opportunity for a scenic photo. 

The Stream
"Your upward path, my downward flow
Are fixed by law divine.
My task to refresh your soul, 
Yours to discover mine."




We reached the first check point and I was feeling ok. The first real climb started here. A 140m ascent over 3km.

As is common in ultra running I walked up the hill, jogging when it flattened slightly, until I emerged from the woods at the top of St Martha's Hill, named after the church that sits atop the summit. There was now a steep descent on soft sand. The 140m covered in less than 1km.




I must mention that it was a clear, bright and mild February morning. I had removed my jacket and was running in a t-shirt. The sun shone in a blue sky to our right and the early frost had melted. It was perfect conditions for an ultra.

On we ran. I chatted to others as I passed them, or they passed me. Everyone friendly, open and with smiles on their faces. We ate, drank, compared races, and enjoyed talking running without the risk of boring the other person. People came and went and meanwhile the birds sang.

We left Guildford behind as we started a long 8km climb over Albury Downs through incredible scenery with panoramic views of the Greensand Ridge, the High Weald and the South Downs. 




After 20 miles we began to head downhill again, a long, easy decline beside the vines of Denbies Wine Estate. Rows and rows of wire supports and bare vines spread down the hill and away into the distance. I imagine it looks very different come summer.


At the foot of the hill we arrived at the A24 dual carriageway. We had to take a small detour to an underpass in order to cross despite the entrance to the woods opposite being tantalisingly near. Runners had been warned that there would be disqualification for anyone who risked crossing the busy road.

Thankful to be away from the land of the motor car we turned into a car park and hopped across the stepping stones over the River Mole. Now we had to scale the steep scarp of Box Hill. 150m of ascent in just 1km via steep wooden steps hammered into the muddy hillside. It had rained the day before and each step was flooded. Hands on knees I huffed and puffed to the top.

As always it was worth it for the stunning panorama that inspired various writers and literary works such as John Keats' Edymion and George Meredith's The Lark Ascending:

"He rises and begins to round,
He drops the silver chain of sound
Of many links without a break,
In chirrup whistle slur and shake."

Also Daniel Defoe and Jane Austen who wrote:

"They had a very fine day for Box Hill...Nothing was wanting but to
 be happy when they got there. Seven miles were travelled in expectation
of enjoyment, and everybody had a burst of admiration on first arriving."

We descended past Brockham Quarry and continued to the last hill of the day Colley Hill. This crazy climb up slippery white chalk went on and on and on. We climbed 100m in less that a km, twisting and turning and each corner revealing a false summit. Finally we were at the top and able to run again.

As usual it was worth it for the vista. We passed the Colley Hill water tower, many cows wandering and pooing aimlessly and the Inglis Memorial. This stone temple like structure was originally a drinking fountain for horses before being dedicated to the Borough of Reigate. It has a blue mosaic tile roof.







Next on our sightseeing tour of the hilltop was a B-17 (Flying Fortress) crash site marked with the tips of two aircraft wings cast in stone marking the span of the plane and where it landed. Lastly we past Reigate Fort and descended down a steep, birch lined chalk escarpment. Two more closely positioned check points ensured we arrived safely at our destination The Warwick School in Richmond.

I had a long, hot shower and set up my bed in the Library. Dinner was Lasagne, salad and cake (multiple helpings of). Unfortunately my filling came out which didn't help me enjoy it as much as I may have.

The talk and Q&A was with a team of people that completed the 2021 Marathon Des Sables (MdS) a 250km/6 day adventure across the Sahara Desert. Inspiring, but no, I won't be doing it. A quick massage and I was off to bed for a rest and some sleep but not much.

Day two involved packing up, breakfast and an early start. I set off at 7:30 feeling very rough, but after a quick coughing fit and vomit I felt much better and retraced my steps from day one. There was a very heavy shower between miles six and eight and the ground was wet and muddy but I had put my trail shoes on which helped a lot. However, the sun came out again and I plodded on with Running is BS podcast and Drum 'n Bass tunes in my ears. 





At mile 20 I did struggle with a rumbling tummy and walked for a mile while eating some food I had packed. Thankfully at this point we crossed a car park with a food van so I treated myself to a hot coffee. After that I felt loads better and ran all the way to the finish, even managing a 7:30 minute last mile.

I hadn't run for time, just to enjoy the event, but I finished 39th overall. 66 miles and 2300m elevation.

I had met some lovely people including Lauren who was celebrating her birthday on the Sunday, Kate, Ben, Lois, Justin and Veronica & Jeremy who had only moved to the UK from Canada days before.

Neil, Anna and the team were as approachable, friendly, supportive and encouraging as ever. Nothing is ever a problem for them. The event ran like clockwork. I can't wait until the next XNRG event. That said, my next ultra marathon will be in two weeks on the Greensand Way.

Here is a link to my Just Giving page for anyone who wants to support #ultras4autism

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ultras4autism

Popular posts from this blog

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

Lakes heaven (and Hel)

A bridge too far?