Ultras4Autism


Running is not just a healthy and social pastime it is also a way for people to highlight good causes. The London Marathon alone has now raised over £1 billion for charity in its 40 year history. Many charities rely on people fundraising to enable them to continue making a positive difference.

In the past I have fundraised for a number of charities including Northamptonshire Association of Youth Clubs, Whizz Kids, Cancer Research UK and The Rainbow Centre. I believed strongly in the good work of all these charities.

This year, however, I wanted to raise money for something very personal to me - Autism. My daughter is autistic and was diagnosed early. We were aware of the signs and able to get help and support. This isn't the case for all. 

The National Autistic Society was founded to provide support, guidance and advice, as well as campaigning for improved rights, services and opportunities to help create a society that works for autistic people. 

Autism is a lifelong developmental disability which affects how people communicate and interact with the world. One in 100 people are on the autism spectrum and there are around 700,000 autistic adults and children in the UK. 

I decided to raise money for this wonderful organisation so that others can receive the support they need. It also happens to be their 60th anniversary year.

As a runner I naturally thought I would choose a running challenge that would push me to my limits and be a catalyst for people to get behind. Rather than choosing one event such as the London Marathon I decided to make the whole year a series of events to which people could give to once or many times.

I decided Ultra Marathons should be the focus as everyone knows I run a lot of marathons. These events can be anything over 26.2 miles and will be more than double in some cases. This led to...

Ultras4Autism

Here are the events (so far, more may be added).

FEB: The Pilgrim Challenge - 66 miles over two days

FEB: Greensand Ultra - 50km

APR: 60 miles for 60 years NAS anniversary run (Also World Autism Awareness Week)

JUN: Lake District Challenge - 100km

SEP: Peak 50 - 50 miles

You can follow my progress here or on Instagram @adaminrunderland

Most importantly you can give to this important work. Please visit my Just Giving Page

Thank you on behalf of Isla, myself, NAS and all those they will be able to help with your support.

Popular posts from this blog

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

A bridge too far?

The Druid's Challenge