2022


The new year has started well. I've managed to keep to my resolutions - so far.

  • Daily stretching routine
  • Planks and squats
  • No drugs
  • 1.5 litres water per day
  • Daily meditation
And guess what? I feel better for it. Who would have thought? It just shows how easy it is to get bogged down in bad habits, thinking they will help; drinking often, eating the wrong foods, not hydrating properly, allowing the body to get tight and weak.

The real challenge is to keep this going and to be consistent. 

I haven't set a time limit for my resolutions this year. No month long target, 50 day challenge or year of this, that or the other. Just taking one day at a time.

If I don't manage one of them one day, I start again the next. No self flagellation or guilt. Pick myself up and we go again.

This is the way we should all run too. Football managers know it well. Focus on the next game and then at the end of the season see where you are. Runners focus on the mile they are in and at the end of the marathon you get your time. Thinking about the next match / mile only distracts and leads to negative feelings.

Whether you are running a 5k, a marathon or an ultra, or just trying to instil some positive habits, remember to take one mile, one race, one day at a time. In 365 days we can all look back and see how far we have come. 

Popular posts from this blog

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

A bridge too far?

The Druid's Challenge