My top 10 running songs of 2021

Here are my top running tracks of 2021 in no particular order. Click on the link to hear in YouTube.

10 - Run by Alison Wonderland

It could have been any track by this dance music genius. She has come into her own this year and was the inspiration behind this blog title. 

Check out Happy Place and F*ck U Love U.

9 - Mork n Mindy - Sleaford Mods, Billy Nomates

Great song, brilliant lyrics. The dry, Nottingham drawl of Jason Williamson overlays the repetitive beats and bleeps of Andrew Fearn. Billy Nomates brings her own laid back but tuneful vibe. 

"Mork 'n' Mindy, Action Man 'n' Cindy, I don't mess about, I make 'em kiss each other when my mum 'n' dad go out"

Check out Nudge and Jobseeker.

8 - Megapunk - Ela Minus

Colombian electronic sophistication. Hypnotic, melodic and perfect for running through the city at night. Described as Bjork having a baby with Massive Attack. This tune has a great sample of Greta Thunberg.

"Yes, we do need hope, of course we do. But the one thing we need more than hope, is action."

Check out Dominique and They told us it was hard but they were wrong.

7 - Crazy heart by Buffalo Tales feat. Rachel Sermanni

Wow. If I had to pick one song for this year this would be it. Sad, melancholy, fragile, tender. It makes me cry every time. Two voices perfectly aligned and gentle picking guitars.

"Sometimes I think my heart was too crazy for you, too damn crazy for you. Sometimes I think my soul was too heavy for you, too damn heavy for you. Sorry if I dragged you down."

Sermanni echoes around your head and makes my feet lift from the ground while I run.

Check out Rachel Sermanni - see below

6 - Run - Rachel Sermanni

My artist of the year. I had tickets to a gig but couldn't make it. She has been on repeat constantly this year, filling my ears with her soft folky voice and beautiful melodies. This one however is a harder, more powerful song with an eerie feel that is perfect for half way through a long run. 

Check out Gently, Everything changes

5 - By your side - Sofia Kourtesis

Try to listen to this without nodding your head, tapping your foot or running in time. A metronomic beat, strings, drum breaks, samples and a catchy hook reminiscent of Avalanches keeps the pace on any run.

Check out La Perla

4 - The darkness that you fear - Chemical Brothers

This would be the second track I would choose from the list. Chemical Brothers back to their best with another hypnotic, swirling, behemoth of a tune.  

"Let your heart see the colours all around you and the darkness that you fear will disappear."

"I'll be loving you, yes I will" 

I have lost count of the number of times I've run with this in my headphones singing these lyrics at the top of my voice, arms out wide in airplane pose. Strange looks but a huge smile on my face.

Pure feelgood electronic beats.

Check out Gotta keep on, Go

3 - Wet dream by Wet Leg

This duo from the Isle of Wight have taken the pop world by storm this year despite only releasing two singles. Like a female Supergrass for the 21st century they provide perky pop tunes with bitter sweet lyrics and jangly guitars. 

"Beat me up, count me in, three, two, one, let's begin"

Check out Chaise Longue

2 - Narrator by Squid

A shouty, punky tune but with many layers. Martha Skye Murphy features. The unique voice of drummer and lead vocalist Ollie Judge shouting "I am my own narrator" has accompanied me throughout the year since I saw them play in Margate.

Check out The Cleaner

1 - Car crash by Idles

A post on their YouTube channel sums this track up well: "This makes me feel so powerful and confident...like I could send a mildly confrontational email without crying."

Idles are punk spirit with progressive lyrics and passionate vocals. I love some of their older stuff too, but this one from the new album makes you feel strong and powerful which is just what you need on those long, wet, dark runs through the streets.

Check out A Hymn, Colossus

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge