The Wandle River Trail


Following on from my runs along the Ravensbourne and Darent rivers, I had my eyes on the Wandle. This river begins just outside Croydon and snakes it's way north to Wandsworth. It is just over 12 miles in length and passes through the boroughs of Croydon, Sutton, Merton and Wandsworth before emptying into the Thames. It was once known as the hardest working river in London with over 90 mills along it's banks. 

The river actually rises in two places; Carshalton Ponds and Wandle Park. I began my run in Lewisham and made my way through Penge and Croydon to Wandle Park. Passing under Purley Way I emerged at Waddon Ponds where I spotted a beautiful heron and many mallard ducks and moorhens, along with Canadian and Egyptian geese. The route then leads past Beddington Mill into Beddington Park.

 


At this point there is a diversion as you aren't able to follow the river. I headed to Sutton to see the football stadium before returning to Carshalton Ponds. This enabled me to follow both river courses until they merged just past Wilderness Island.

A good, but soggy path lead me through Watercress Park to Poulter Park. This has a large weir and some scenic views of autumnal leaves clinging on despite the fact that it was only two days until November. Ravensbury park with it's mill was next before another road section brought me to Morden Hall Park. 


This was the highlight for me. It reminded me of a smaller, flatter Richmond Park. Families were enjoying the post rain sunshine and the yellow, orange and red tree colours glowed in the sunlight. There are ornate bridges and extensive reed beds to be seen. 



On my left as I left the park was Deen City Farm. The wonderfully names Pickle Ditch was next where a couple of old men were trying to clear a ditch.


By now I was flagging a little and gasping for a drink. Merton Abbey Mills with the pub and market provided an opportunity but I unwisely decided to carry on. 


This may have contributed to me getting lost although that was probably just due to my poor navigation skills as I accidentally followed a tributary into a housing estate. A few helpful pedestrians helped guide me back to pretty much where I had started by the ruins of Merton Priory. I decided to stop and get a drink.

Emerging from the parks and river banks into the heart of Merton was a shock and reminded me I was running through the heart of metropolitan SW London. It was easy to forget and become lost in the magnificence of the natural world.

I skirted Wandle Meadow Nature Park. There were trail routes through it, but I was tired and followed the more direct asphalt paths instead. The next couple of miles were straight and unremarkable. I spotted an old stone wheel and passed through Garratt Park to Earlsfield. 

The river meandered beside me, the birds sang, but my legs were aching having already covered a marathon distance and I was keen to reach the Thames. A major detour away from the river through Earlsfield was redeemed by the sight of The Wandle public house. 

King George Park was the final green space. Emerging from it I found myself in Wandsworth with it's cars, buses and high rise buildings. Within a few minutes I saw the Thames and finished on The Spit/Causeway, a 50mx20m triangular shaped mini nature reserve where the river spills into the mighty Thames. An Artwork called Sail by the artist Sophie Horton signalled the end of my run.



    

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge