Darent Valley Path - part of


The Darent River flows from the North Downs outside Sevenoaks 19 miles to the River Thames. While I didn't have time to run the whole thing I did manage part of it. 

I started in Farningham and headed north as far as Questor on the outskirts of Dartford before doubling back on myself and passing through Farningham and south as far as Lullingstone Castle before turning again and heading back to my start point.

It was a scorching day and I had decided trails were in order. I couldn't face the city in 30 degree heat. I drove to Farningham just off the M20 half a mile outside the M25. This tranquil village of cottages, stone bridges and homely pubs is a world away from city life. There is also free parking.

The trail was easy to find beside an historic bridge over the river. I followed the flowing water through woodland and past pastures containing horses and, bizarrely, emus. Butterflies, bees and dragonflies zipped past as I dodged the nettles and brambles. Someone recently asked which a runner should aim for if they had to choose. I always choose brambles. I hate the lasting burn and itch of nettle stings and take sadistic pride in the bloody scratches of the bramble barbs.



The trail path ducked beneath a huge stone bridge carrying the M20 and then opened up when I reached Horton Kirby. A brief stretch of asphalt past the paper mill brings you to a house with giraffes in the back garden. It was quite a safari this run.



A narrow road led to open fields and the chirrup of crickets in their thousands. Once more butterflies were everywhere as flew up from the path as I ran towards them. They were mostly Cabbage White and Meadow Brown although I did see a couple of Tortoishell and Red Admirals. Dragonflies and hoverflies also sped past before alighting on flowers and leaves.





Once through the open field it took a while to find a gap in the hedgerow to follow the rivers path. Once located, it trickled its way through to South Darenth. I ran under the viaduct and past the mill. More woods and trails helped shield me from the strong summer sun and soon I had arrived in Darenth.


The river passes beneath the M25 and A2 before reaching the outskirts of Dartford. I emerged on a housing estate and didn't fancy it so turned and retraced my steps. 

Back in Farningham I made my way through the village and headed south along the quaintly named Sparepenny Lane. I couldn't spare one but I did spend one - discreetly. The road passed Eagles Heights and and through the Eynsford Viaduct. I came to the Lullingstone Roman Villa and then Lullingstone Castle where I realised I had lost my hat. Not the first time I have forgotten I was holding something on a run and simply dropped it.

Now I had a choice, keep going or go back and look for it. As it was the first time I had worn it I decided to try and find it. Back I went to Farningham - nothing. I went back down the Darent Valley Way towards Horton Kirby - nothing. By now I was too hot and had managed 15 miles. I headed back to Farningham but then remembered I was going to head up the hills where I had spotted an amazing spectacle, thousands of poppies turning the hills red.



It was worth it. I took a detour through Eynsford for coffee and cake before picking up the car and driving back to London. 20 miles in the glorious sunshine and beautiful Kent countryside. Well worth the price of a new hat.

RIP hat

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge