The Magnificent Seven - 7 Kensal Green


Due to overcrowding in London's parish churchyards during the early 19th century, seven private cemeteries were build. They became known as the Magnificent Seven.

These were much larger suburban burial areas just outside the city centre. Christopher Wren said that they should be "inclosed with a strong Brick Wall, and having a walk round, and two cross walks, decently planted with Yew-trees."

They were all established within ten years following an 1832 act of Parliament. The cemeteries are:

  1. Kensal Green Cemetery - 1833
  2. West Norwood Cemetery - 1837
  3. Highgate Cemetery - West 1839 East 1854
  4. Abney Park Cemetery - 1840
  5. Brompton Cemetery - 1840
  6. Nunhead Cemetery - 1840
  7. Tower Hamlets Cemetery - 1841
I decided to visit all seven on separate runs. I was tempted to try and do them all in one go, but didn't fancy a whole day in graveyards.

KENSAL GREEN

It was a cold, bright April morning. I left the house at 6.30am, ready for a long run. Kensal Green is in North-West London. I live in South-East London so it was going to be a trek.

I decided to cross the Thames on Westminster Bridge so that I could visit Leake Street Arches first. This is a tunnel underneath Waterloo station that is used for street art. It is an ever changing canvas. Here are a few of the pieces on show as of April 2021.








You can see more of the London street art I've seen on my runs here LDN Street Art

But back to my run. I crossed Westminster Bridge and ran through St James Park. I noticed the increased presence of media and security at Buckingham Palace following the recent death of the Duke of Edinburgh. Some people were laying flowers and the flag was at half mast.

I entered Hyde Park and followed the Serpentine passing Henry Moore's 'The Arch' statue in Kensington Gardens. At the far end of the park I headed up Labrooke Grove noticing the huge, brightly painted Victorian houses. I arrived at Kensal Green cemetery inly to discover I was 90 minutes early. It didn't open until 10am on a Sunday.

Reluctant to give up I ran the perimeter and noticed along one side that a wall had collapsed and metal sheeting had been erected. One of these sheets had been pulled aside just enough to allow me to crawl through.

Now alone in the cemetery I was free to explore. There were many grand mausoleums and a large Grecian style chapel and catacombs. 







65,000 graves are contained in the cemetery and over 250,000 interments have taken place. Notable people buried there include engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel, authors Wilkie Collins and Anthony Trollope, tightrope walker Charles Blondin, and playwright Harold Pinter.  Notable cremations include singer Freddie Mercury, director Ingrid Bergman, Christine Keeler, actor Alan Rickman and chef Gary Rhodes.

I sneaked back out through my secret entrance and took a long route home along the Regent's Canal through Regent's Park, Camden, Islington, Bethnal Green. Once past Victoria Park I visited two art installations in Three Mills Island and Canary Wharf. I arrived home 37 miles later.

Traffic Light Tree by Pierre Vivant

Reaching Out by Thomas J Price

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge