The Magnificent Seven - 3 Abney Park


Due to overcrowding in London's parish churchyards during the early 19th century, seven private cemeteries were build. They became known as the Magnificent Seven.

These were much larger suburban burial areas just outside the city centre. Christopher Wren said that they should be "inclosed with a strong Brick Wall, and having a walk round, and two cross walks, decently planted with Yew-trees."

They were all established within ten years following an 1832 act of Parliament. The cemeteries are:

  1. Kensal Green Cemetery - 1833
  2. West Norwood Cemetery - 1837
  3. Highgate Cemetery - West 1839 East 1854
  4. Abney Park Cemetery - 1840
  5. Brompton Cemetery - 1840
  6. Nunhead Cemetery - 1840
  7. Tower Hamlets Cemetery - 1841
I decided to visit all seven on separate runs. I was tempted to try and do them all in one go, but didn't fancy a whole day in graveyards.

ABNEY PARK

My third run was to Abney Park in Hackney. I set out just two days after visiting Highgate so didn't know if I would make it. I held Tower Hamlets in reserve as I passed close to it and it was only half the distance. Turned out I needn't have worried.

The start was tough, stiff muscles, negative mental attitude. Once over Blackheath and into Greenwich I was relaxed and in a better frame of mind. The streets were packed. Busier than at any time since I have been in London. Lockdown was still very much in place but people didn't seem to care. The Greenwich foot tunnel was rammed.

It was a relief to get to the other side and away from the crowds. I ran up through the Isle of Dogs and into Mile End. Onto Regent's Canal and the crowds were back. At many points I was forced to stop and walk behind people or balance precariously on the edge of the towpath to squeeze path, hoping they wouldn't knock me in the water.

When I reached Haggerston I headed north on the A10 through Dalston and all the way to the cemetery gates.

The Egyptian Revival style entrance leads into the park that was named after Sir Thomas Abney who was Lord Mayor of London from 1700-1701. This cemetery is much more overgrown than many others. It is a rambling place with windy paths weaving around the tombs that are covered in ivy, plants and tree roots.


At the centre lies the Gothic Central Chapel which was gutted by fire 30 years ago and is unused. 


Notable people buried there include Dr Isaac Watts and Salvation Army founders Catherine and William Booth.



Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge