The Magnificent Seven - 2 Highgate

Due to overcrowding in London's parish churchyards during the early 19th century, seven private cemeteries were build. They became known as the Magnificent Seven.

These were much larger suburban burial areas just outside the city centre. Christopher Wren said that they should be "inclosed with a strong Brick Wall, and having a walk round, and two cross walks, decently planted with Yew-trees."

They were all established within ten years following an 1832 act of Parliament. The cemeteries are:

  1. Kensal Green Cemetery - 1833
  2. West Norwood Cemetery - 1837
  3. Highgate Cemetery - West 1839 East 1854
  4. Abney Park Cemetery - 1840
  5. Brompton Cemetery - 1840
  6. Nunhead Cemetery - 1840
  7. Tower Hamlets Cemetery - 1841
I decided to visit all seven on separate runs. I was tempted to try and do them all in one go, but didn't fancy a whole day in graveyards.

HIGHGATE

My second run was meant to be Kensal Green. I set off in that direction and crossed the Thames at Waterloo Bridge. From there I headed north and soon found that I was on a road leading directly to Camden and just a short distance from Highgate. So I went there instead.

It involved a very steep climb up to the cemetery which I had to walk up. When I reached the top I couldn't find the entrance and had to ask someone after jogging round for ten minutes. I finally found it back at the bottom of the hill! And it was locked! I took some photos through the bars and made my way back.

I had started my run from my daughter's school rather than home and this added four miles so I ended up completing 30 miles there and back.


There are 53,000 graves in the cemetery and over 170,000 burials. It is divided in the middle into East and West sides.

Karl Marx is the most notable resident. Also buried here are author Douglas Adams, Sex Pistols manager Malcolm McLaren, actor Bob Hoskins, singer George Michael, poet Christina Rossetti and Jeremy Beadle.

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge