Running Lewisham Borough - Completed

Photos: Paul Stafford

It is over. After months of pounding the pavements and staring at Google Maps I have finally managed to run every street in the Borough of Lewisham. I completed the last road - Angus Street, Deptford - on the 17th November. 

It has been an interesting experience for a London newbie. I have discovered hidden parks, creative graffiti, tower blocks and mansions. Lewisham is a diverse location in terms of economics, culture and ethnicity which make it a fascinating place to explore.

The route had begun back in April with my first run from my home in Hither Green to Mountsfield Park and has spiralled out over seven months. No doubt some roads have been run dozens of times as I have headed out and back. This makes it impossible to know how many miles I have covered, but needless to say it is more than the number of miles of streets. This is also due to the cul-de-sacs that need running both ways and doubling back to connect streets.


People have asked which was my favourite place. As far as running goes it was either Blackheath or around Honor Oak. The worst was a toss up between the steep ascents around Blythe Hill and the run-down estates of Sydenham.

One thing is for sure, Lewisham is an incredibly hilly area. I was rarely on the flat. I often wondered what it would have looked like centuries ago when you could stand on a hill to the south and see towards the Thames with undulating meadows and thick woods. That said I was pleasantly surprised by how green the Borough is. Many parks are scattered over the area. 


Most of my runs involved an out and back from home too. I only drove to two locations. This meant some parts are very familiar and I was able to take in more than driving in the car. In fact I was often quicker too as it took me an hour on four wheels to get to Ikea which is just three miles away.

The Borough itself is an odd shape. Imagine a squirrel facing to the east with a big tail protruding above its head. Southwark borders the west, Tower Hamlets is just over the water to the north, Greenwich abuts on the east side and Bromley sits below. It was often a relief to see a sign welcoming me to one or the other of these Boroughs meaning I could turn around, but many streets weren't posted.


Here is how the map was filled...

August

September

November

Here are a few other shots from around the Borough:











Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge