Fun running


Since finishing my run around the streets of Lewisham I have enjoyed heading out with no plan in mind. London is full of green spaces so I have primarily headed for these.

The Green Chain Walk is a 40 mile route that links over 300 places between the Thames and Crystal Palace. I decided to roughly follow some of this, but only in a sense of weaving in and out of it rather than following it religiously.

This took in Mountsfield Park, College Meadow, King John's playing fields, before arriving at The Tarn. This was a small park with a lake, lots of Canada Geese and an ice well. I then headed through Eltham to Eltham park south, crossed the A2 into Eltham park north and entered Sheperdleas Wood.

The floor was carpeted in golden leaves and I broke off the main track to explore. Arriving at another road, I crossed over and passed through Oxleas Meadows before diving into Oxleas Wood. 

Trails abound here and it is very hilly which had resulted in thick mud tracks along the bottom edge. I squelched and splashed through the mire before climbing up through the trees and eventually emerging at Shooter's Hill.

The map showed another large green space but this was a golf course and I couldn't access it so instead wound my way through to East Wickham open space which is exactly what it says, a large open space. I passed through it and came across Plumstead cemetery up on the hill. It offered a good view over East London.

Next stop was Bostall heath and woods. This is a beautiful area. Again bright orange and gold leaves covered the ground and trails weaved through the trees. I exited onto Plumstead High Street. Unfortunately to get home I had a long boring run along the road through Plumstead, Woolwich and Charlton before finally reaching Greenwich.

Greenwich is one of my favourite places to run through so I did a circuit and then crossed Blackheath and headed back down into Lewisham. Here are some of the photos I took on the run:











Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge