The parkrun 20202020 challenge - Number 18


I set off at 6:30am aiming to get to Clapham Common, run the parkrun course and then return in time to start work. It would be a fifteen mile round trip plus the parkrun so the pressure was on. Not only was time short, but I would have to climb the steep Forest Hill to Horniman Gardens on the way there and back.

It was a muggy morning and by the time I had reached Dulwich I was feeling pretty drained. A bad week of sleep and a late night hadn't helped. When I arrived at Brockwell Park I had an idea. Rather than do another two miles to Clapham I could instead tackle the more difficult Brockwell parkrun. I had avoided it due to the elevation (Clapham is flat, Brockwell has a climb that you run twice), but it would save time and the extra mileage. Maybe if I really pushed I could scrape under 20 minutes.

The sun had come up and the park was full of runners. I felt my spirits lift seeing them and decided to go for it. I had studied the route before so I knew the course. A full lap of the perimeter followed by another slightly shorter lap.

The start line is at the Lido. I started my watch and pushed off hard. my legs felt surprisingly good. I guess the five miles warm up and done just that, my muscles were warm and ready. After a quarter of a mile the anti clockwise route bears left and begins to climb. I continued to push and then hit the false flat where I recovered my breath before climbing again to the top. Almost half way around the path began to descend and I opened up my legs maintaining speed but steadying my breathing.

Soon I was passing the Lido again and this time took a sharp left up a steep hill cutting off the first corner. Past the BMX track and then down to meet the perimeter path on the other side. Another climb, this time on tired legs. I could feel myself slowing but remembered that I usually had time in the bank. Five other runners were in front of me as I descended and I aimed to pick them off before the finish as I would in a normal parkrun. This kept me pushing forward.

As I passed the last of them I glanced at my watch. Just half a mile to go and plenty of time. I didn't slow but pushed hard for the finish completing the run in 19:15.

This was one of the most satisfying runs of this challenge. Partly because of the number of other runners making it feel more like an actual parkrun. Partly because I had saved myself four miles of running and about half an hour in time. Partly because it was unexpected. I thought I wouldn't be able to include Brockwell in my challenge despite its proximity, due to the elevation. I was wrong.

When I started this challenge I wanted to complete it, but I didn't just want to choose the easiest parkruns. I wanted to choose those that were local, those where I knew people or those that appealed to me. I also needed them to be a straightforward course that I could follow without marshals.

I have run Parkruns with a wide range of elevation. Here is a rough selection with stats from here: Difficulty ratings

Lullingstone (failed) 124m*
Hilly Fields (still to attempt) 77m
Crystal Palace (completed) 76m
Brockwell (completed - see above) 51m
Orpington (completed) 48m
Bexley (completed) 35m
Peckham Rye (completed) 33.5m
Folkestone (completed) 30.5m
Northampton (completed) 27.4m
Dulwich (completed) 25m
Bromley (completed) 16m
Totting (completed) 13m
Beckenham (completed) 9m
Burgess park (completed) 6.5m

(*net elevation in metres over the course)

I'm now wondering if Hilly Fields is doable. I don't think so, but I may have to give it a go....

Popular posts from this blog

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

A bridge too far?

The Druid's Challenge