The parkrun 20202020 challenge - Fail

With all the street running of recent weeks I really needed a break from concrete, traffic and buildings. After scanning the map I settled on a drive to Farningham on the edge of the North Downs. There is a path following the Derwent river through the rolling hills which passes by a parkrun in Lullingstone. Perfect I thought. The course seemed a simple one to follow so off I went.

I arrived in the beautiful village of Farningham where I parked up (for free!) and found the start of the path. After a steep uphill climb I was soon overlooking acres of green countryside. The clouds had cleared and it was a clear sunny summer's day. I wound along the valley beside the gently running water and past Eynsford viaduct carrying trains from London to Sevenoaks and beyond.


A further climb led me to a wood and I enjoyed running the tracks through the trees. I met a couple of runners who were heading to Sevenoaks. I was tempted to join them, but instead crossed the golf course down to Lullingstone. That's when I realised the full extent of the problem I faced.

I could see the café at the bottom of the steep hill I stood atop. The parkrun course had not shown the hill gradients. I had to run up here. Twice. I knew then that this was not going to be one of my sub 20 minute runs. If I had done my research I would have discovered it is the 18th hardest parkrun in the country...

Oh well, I thought, I'm here now. I found the start and followed the two lap course uphill and down dale. Twice. I finished in 25:21. Even at full tilt I would have struggled to break 22 and I wasn't helped by having to stop to let some jumpy horses pass. It was a beautiful course though with amazing views, wooden sculptures along the way and good signage on regularly space posts.

A coffee was my reward before following the river back to Farningham stopping for a photo op of Lullingstone and Eynsford castles.


I don't regret my trip out there. It was a relief to run the trails again and see such scenic views. Number 18 will have to wait another week and next time I'll check the elevation.


Popular posts from this blog

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

A bridge too far?

The Druid's Challenge