The parkrun 20202020 challenge - Number 15


Bexley parkrun was my goal for number 15. Rather than drive there I decided to incorporate it into a weekend long run as it was only about six miles from Lewisham.

It had been a hot week, but the temperature had dropped slightly although the sun was still out. I headed towards Eltham up the long hill and then continued through the town towards Bexley. Just a short way before Bexley I turned to the north and arrived at Danson Park.

The park was already busy with walkers, runners and dog walkers. It was getting hotter despite only being 8 o'clock. I stashed my water and belongings in a tree and set off for a reccy lap.

There was a large lake at the bottom of a grassy hill on which sat Danson House. On the far side was an ornamental garden and some woodland. Half way around my exploratory loop I met a couple jogging and asked if they ever ran parkrun here. They did and so I followed them while they showed me where to go.

Once at the start I let them go ahead and prepared myself. There was a green square on the floor which marked the start of the course and another a little further on to show the finish. I started my watch and set off.

I ran east along the shore with the lake on my left and then turned north past some small boats and fishermen and climbed the hill past the café. At the top, the path turned west and I now looked down on the lake still to my left but further below. I proceeded past the big house on the hill - a grade one listed Palladian villa (apparently), that was built in 1766, fell into disrepair and was reopened in 2005.


The path descended now through some gardens to a small roundabout where I was told to keep going. As I ran past I thought I glimpsed something on the floor but kept on and turned right at the bottom to return to the start. A glance at my watch showed I had only completed 1.3 miles rather than the 1.6 I expected and I realised I had missed a turning.

On the second lap I slowed at the sign on the floor which said parkrun and had an arrow pointing right. I had been told the wrong route! I should have done a 0.3 mile loop before rejoining the lakeside.

Not wanting to void the run I realised I would have to do two loops on the second lap instead of one per lap. That way I would complete the full course but not necessarily in the right order - paraphrasing one Eric Morecombe who played piano badly but claimed that it was all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order.

Unfortunately it involved a short steep climb so my legs were burning after the second loop and I crossed the finish with my lungs also on fire. However, I was pleased to have achieved 19:23.



Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge