The parkrun 20202020 challenge - Number 14


Another day, another (not)parkrun. Rather than tackle a long run this weekend I decided to try and rack up another sub 20 minute parkrun. I chose Orpington, which is about seven miles away, and decided to drive there. It was easy to find and a simple course of three clockwise laps.

I was relieved to see it wasn't too hilly, but there was a long gradual climb at one end of the field. This time I did a lap beforehand to check where I needed to go.

The route leads from the Pavilion across the grass towards the car park before taking a right dog leg around a garage. A sharp right leads onto a path which slowly descends for about 200m. This is a footpath but there is a small roundabout at the bottom. A right turn here turns onto a narrower path which twists and winds to the bottom corner of the field. At this point the route goes back onto grass and up the hill under the trees on a muddy trail. There are lots of roots to avoid. At the next corner another right heads back to the pavilion. Just a few metres short is an abrupt left through some trees to a double rugby pitch. A lap of these brings you back out the other side of the pavilion and the end of the lap. A second identical lap and then a final shorter one that doesn't include the rugby pitches makes 3.1 miles / 5k.

The start was downhill on grass and I set off fast. Continuing downhill along the path I stretched out my stride and tried to get ahead of myself before the long uphill. Now among the roots I dig deep and arrived at the rugby pitches out of breath and with tired legs. Only one lap completed!

The next lap was a blur as I fought my exhausted limbs and gasping lungs. I used my usual motivation of not wanting to come here again because I missed out by a couple of seconds. I realised that the marathon seven days before along with the 19 minute parkrun at Crystal Palace just three days previously had taken more out of me than I thought.

Onto the third lap and I managed to keep my cadence and control my breathing until the uphill section. I felt myself slowing and by the time I hit 2.8 miles I felt like I was going backwards. However, I could see I had time in the bag and just had to keep going. Eventually the watch hit 3.1 miles and I collapsed on the grass as soon as I had stopped my Garmin.

I was pleased with the time 18:58 but it felt awful. Number 14 ticked off but definitely time for a rest for my poor legs.


Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge