The parkrun 20202020 challenge - Number 13

 

Crystal Palace. The name resonates for those who used to watch track and field back in the day. Evening meets were often on the TV featuring some of Britain's most popular athletics stars. It was the home of the London Athletics Grand Prix up until 2012.

However I wasn't running on this famous track, but in the park where it is located. This is a park run after all. I had scoped out the park a few times although the route seemed a bit too complicated without Marshalls or cones to guide me. I finally decided that it was close enough, and interesting enough to attempt. On the afternoon of my planned run I took time to memorise all the twists and turns of the route, going over them in my head.

By the time evening came and my daughter was tucked up in bed I was pretty sure I could remember all the turns. Whether I could still recall them after two six minute miles was another thing. It was clear that the first mile would involve mostly uphill tracks, this would be followed by a flatter second mile and then a mostly downhill third mile.

I jogged there to warm up. With four miles in my legs I was prepared to start strong. The start was easy to find by the main gate and next to the café. I linked in to GPS, pressed the button on my watch and set off fast.

After 200 metres I was puffing and worried I had gone to quickly, however I soon found a rhythm for my breathing and settled into a fast cadence. The path began to climb before turning left and circling a small lake. First tricky corner gone. At this point I rejoined the original path heading more steeply upward and into a headwind. It wound past the Crystal Palace Bowl with the stage that looks like a giant laptop. Head down I pumped my arms and tried to maintain my stride.

Not a pretty picture at the end...
By now I was breathing and sweating heavily. It as another humid July evening in the capital. As I crested the hill I glanced across at the view over south London. I was now on the flat and traversed the remains of the upper terrace of the demolished palace, turned left and left again to go back on myself along the lower terrace.

This next part had seemed the most difficult as I had to head down and back on myself before turning another 180 degrees and a quick left onto parkland. However, it was all quite straight forward when I got there and the downhill section on grass was a relief. I managed to catch my breath a little while striding out to make up for time lost on the uphill.

Once off the grass the path headed through trees and I was relieved to see the next part of the route where I was expecting it. I was back near the start but took a higher path along the ridge of a grass bank. This led to a bridge and past the athletics stadium. I had thought about using the sight of the athletics track to give me a boost but I was so tired and focussed I didn't even pay it any attention.

I was now at the edge of the park and turned left onto another short and steep downhill section. This then flattened out by the large dinosaur lake. I was making quite a noise now as I gasped for breath and a few families that were taking a gentle evening stroll gave alarmed looks and moved aside as I panted past. I couldn't bear the thought of finishing seconds over 20 minutes and having to go through this pain and effort again.

Bearing left at the end of the lake I followed the short edge before turning right back towards the start. Another right turn and I allowed myself to check my time. I had a minute in hand and less than 0.1 miles to go. I stopped my watch at 3.1 miles and 19:17 to the sound of a brass ensemble (see photo top). I stood and listened while my heart and lungs began to recover.


I felt ok as I jogged home but a mile from my house I suddenly felt very weak and shaky. I managed to stumble to the nearest petrol station where I stuffed my face with unhealthy food (and bagged a bottle of wine as a reward). There has to be some benefit to putting myself through such trauma!

                                              

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge