The parkrun 20202020 challenge - Number 12


parkrun number 12 took place at Burgess Park. Its a six mile run from my home. It was already hot and sweaty when I arrived, and the park was full of other runners enjoying the sunshine. I had studied the route and thought I was pretty sure where I needed to go. It is a single lap with a straight out and back and a circuit of the lake in between.

I made my way to the starting point beside the tennis courts and a large display of red, yellow, pink and blue flowers. I set off reasonable fast along the straight path that bisects the park in two. It was a long 0.75 mile stretch which went under a tunnel and a bridge. As I overtook one guy he stuck with me so that I could pace him. This threw me slightly but helped me to keep pushing. I felt bad when I suddenly turned off left without comment, but I couldn't waste the oxygen. There was then another sharp left so I was heading back the way I had come but on another path slightly further in.

At the end of this was another sharp turn, to the right this time which led all the way to the lake. The lake was sparkling in the bright sunshine and I was annoyed that I hadn't brought my shades. A clockwise loop brought me back to the same point on the path and this time I had to retrace my steps.

Unfortunately this is where I slipped up and missed my turn ending up back on the main path. I soon realised this but carried on and then did the detour on the way back so I was covering the same route and distance although in a slightly wrong order.

My first mile was quicker than I expected and I managed to sustain the pace on the second. This enabled me to ease off on the third mile along the home stretch. I came in at 19:01. This was only one second slower than the parkrun challenge I did two days ago and I was nowhere near as out of breath. I can only think it was the extra two miles I did on the warm up before Victoria Docks that made the difference. Both are flat courses and had a gentle wind. It was hot both days.

I was pleased to be a minute under the time I needed and not be too knackered. My body seems to be holding up to the challenge and I have pushed it to do three fast parkruns in five days. This bodes well to try and fit in one more this week before my marathon on Sunday. Probably Bethlem Royal Hospital.




Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge