The parkrun 20202020 challenge - Number 11


Cometh the weekend, cometh the parkrun - even when they have been cancelled. My 11th sub-20 parkrun of the year was Victoria Docks. This is located next to the ExCel Centre and the Cable Car ride that links the north of the river with the south over at the Millennium Dome.

I ran from home up to Blackheath and through Greenwich park. I then took the Greenwich foot tunnel across to the Isle of Dogs and made my way along the east side. You can run along the river for much of it, but occasionally there is a dead end and you have to cut inland. I was struggling with the route and every time I ran ahead of another woman on the same path I ended up doubling back and being behind her again.

In the end I gave up and followed her for a while before asking where to go. She pointed me in the right direction and I was soon heading to Victoria Docks. However, it wouldn't be me if I didn't get lost somewhere along the way. I somehow ended up at Trinity Buoy Wharf (another dead end) where there was a fascinating array of marine paraphernalia and art work. I never would have found it if I could navigate.

I soon arrived at Victoria Docks and worked out my bearings. I thought I would be able to follow the route without a reccy and started straight off. My legs were tired from the 8 hour run there but I managed a good first mile. The second mile I slowed down purposefully as I could afford to but again I panicked on the third and went hell for leather, crashing in dead on 19:00. I still don't seem to be able to pace it right...


It was a good course with the huge expanse of water in the middle and a horseshoe shaped route. It starts at the Crystal building and then takes you down one side of the dock, beneath huge black cranes beside the ExCel Centre and back again. This is the long side. You then run down the other side to the SS Robin and back, finishing where you started. The course is hampered by a lot of cobbles and there was quite a strong headwind, but otherwise it is absolutely flat.

There were hundreds of swimmers in the water, visible only by their bright orange buoys and the splashing of the water. I was desperate to jump in but there was a long queue because of social distancing so I stuck my head in a nearby sprinkler instead.





Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge