The parkrun 20202020 challenge - Number 10

 

The half way point of the year has passed. I have completed 9/20 parkruns. My 10th run would bring me to half way point of my challenge. I chose to run at Norman Park in Bromley.

I have run through the park before when I was tracing the Ravensbourne River from its source to the Thames. This time I was going to be running around it. It is pancake flat. An asphalt path encircles the playing fields. There is a promontory of trees in the middle of the park dividing it in two. Four buildings and two car parks are situated around the perimeter.

There are two routes here; a winter one and a summer one. Despite it being summer I chose to do the winter course as I wasn't 100% sure about the winter lap, which involves running around the trees on the field. It was also raining quite hard and had been all day so I didn't want to risk slipping on the grass (or getting my trainers dirty!)

The park was full of people. Groups were taking part in football training, others were circuit training. Many runners were following the oval path around the edges of the parkland. I asked one man where the parkrun start was and he pointed me to a tree beside one of the changing facilities. The route itself couldn't be easier. Two and a half clockwise laps with only a small diversion around one of the car parks. A did a reccy lap and was relieved I could just run and not have to think about where to go.

My GPS locked on I started my first lap. I ran at a fast tempo pace, about 75%. My breathing soon became heavy but regular and my legs felt strong. Recent parkrun 20202020 runs had taken place after I ran six or more miles to get there. Only one mile warm up this time and I was much fresher.


I finished the first mile in 6:10. I only needed to keep up that cadence to come in under 20 minutes. I started using others to motivate me. I caught a couple of runners and then set my sights on the next. Soon I was passing the start again and only had half a lap to go. I began to push up to 85% effort.

Now my breathing was hard, my legs began to complain as lactic acid swam around the muscles. The rain was pouring down but it was salty sweat I could taste as it dripped down my face. I glanced at my watch. Half a mile to go so I gave it everything. Maybe I could managed sub 19?

The last 0.1 seemed to take forever as I kept checking the watch. If this was a parkrun I would be able to pump my arms until I crossed the line, but with no end in sight I have to make sure I complete the full distance. I also want to stop as soon as possible because my lungs and legs are shrieking with effort.

Finally it click over to 3.1 and I press the button on my Garmin and almost immediately come to a stop. I'm panting and gasping, wet, red faced and staggering around. Not a good look for a 44 year old. Thankfully no one approaches to see if I need medical attention. After a few minutes I'm OK to do a slow warm down.

Apparently the second mile was quite consistent with the first at 6:07. The third mile was 5:49. The final 0.1 was at 5.15 pace! No wonder I was exhausted. My time was 18:39 my third fastest ever 5K.

Back at the car I got talking to a couple who had been running the other way and passed me several times. Their names were Alice and Joe. We chatted about how we missed parkrun, where they ran, my challenge and upcoming events. It was the first time in months that I had met other runners face to face and it felt so good to be back among the running family.

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge