2020 - The (unexpected) first half


The year began with four goals:

1 - The parkrun 20202020 Challenge.
2 - Run the Deck Challenge.
3 - PB at 5k and Half Marathon.
4 - A 75 mile ultra.
5 - 2020 miles in the year.

It all started so well...

I began by ticking off the first two sub 20 minute parkruns at Folkestone and Ashford. I also jumped straight into my Run the Deck Challenge. This involved letting the distance of my runs be guided by a shuffled deck of cards (Ace =1, Jack 11, Queen 12 and King 13.1).

On February 1st I did my first official marathon of the year with the Ranscombe Winter Marathon. At the beginning of March I ran around all 72 of the Creative Folkestone Artworks.


Just over a month later I finished the deck of cards with a Queen on March 9th. This was also the day I ran my long awaited race against the tide. I started when the sea was fully out leaving a vast swathe of sandy beach at Mermaid's Bay. I then ran laps as the water began to creep further up the shore until the beach had all but disappeared.

By this time I knew I was moving from Folkestone to Lewisham in London. This would give me more parkruns to explore and offer new routes to run. However it was with a heavy heart that I said goodbye to my Bald Monkeys. Thankfully we have continued to Zoom with coffee and cake most Saturday mornings.

We moved house on March 31st as lockdown began. Parkrun was cancelled for the foreseeable future. I was left with a choice. I could abandon the 20202020 Challenge or push on and run them solo as (non)parkruns. Obviously I chose the latter.

Further sub 20 minute parkruns took place throughout April, May and June in seven different locations. Just short of half way at the mid point of the year. It needed more research into the course, but I managed to work them out. I came within 2 seconds of my 5K PB at Dulwich, but that still eludes me as does the half marathon PB.

Sadly the MAF 75th anniversary event in London was cancelled as was my ultra. Instead I started an A-Z of London. This took me to different location in the capital beginning with the letters of the alphabet in order. Each run had to start and finish at my home. I had reached Y by June 30th so just Z to go.

Other runs included running along the Ravensbourne River from its source to the Thames, running to all the blue plaques in Lewisham and Greenwich, and visiting all the Railway Signs painted by Lionel Stanhope.


As a consequence, and despite lockdown, I've managed to keep running regularly and have completed 1100 miles in the six months well on course for the 2020 I'm aiming for.

There have been no serious injuries so far. However, I am experiencing tightness in my hips, calves and groin which at times has been painful. Sadly I can't book a sports massage. Less sadly and more stupidly I have stopped stretching which would explain a lot.

So lockdown seems to be lifting, but there may yet be a second wave. Will parkrun restart this year? Will races be held again in 2020? I doubt it personally. I'm planning for nothing to change and if it does it will be a bonus.

So what do I need to aim for before December 31st?

Eleven more parkruns in under 20 minutes.
920 more miles.
A 'Z' to complete my London A-Z.
Knock 3 seconds off my best 5k of the year.
Run a Half Marathon PB

Oh and I am also hoping to do Run the Clock in August. 24 one hour runs on 24 different days. Each one starting at a different hour beginning with midnight and going through the day until 11pm. By the end I will have run every minute of the day.

Maybe I'll start stretching too......

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge