The parkrun 20202020 challenge - Number 7

Not a happy bunny thanks to my Garmin

This time I was aiming to run Southwark parkrun in under 20 minutes. It is a flat course so I hoped I would be able to achieve my goal despite having run 30 miles the weekend before.

I ran there from Lewisham, a distance of four miles and then ran one lap to reccy the course. It was quite straight forward. Three anti-clockwise laps of the southern end of the park. It starts by the China Gate and heads north before doing turning left and left again to pass around the children's playground. The path emerges between the Gallery and the Café and turns to the right.

Once past the Boat House it is another sharp right which then leads along a track beneath trees towards the Ada Salter Rose Garden and turns 180 degrees to head back parallel to the path and on past the Boat House again and the cricket pitch on the left hand side.

The path curves gently to the left, skirts the athletic track and then reaches a fork. On the first lap you take the right turn, cross the start line and continue. On the second and third laps it is the left option.

I started warily trying to keep some strength in reserve and did a 6:40 first mile. I then stepped it up and pushed 6 minute miles for the second and third. Unfortunately my Garmin wasn't working so I was having to use Strava on my phone to record my time and distance. As I crossed the finish line I pulled out my phone and it took a while to unlock the screen with my sweaty fingers. When I did it read 2.9 miles and 18:36.

I couldn't leave it on 2.9 even though I had followed the course and completed it so I continued for another 0.2 eventually stopping the clock on 19:28. At least I was under the 20 minutes.

I think that if I ran it properly with others to pull me along I could get close to my PB of 18:27. I had plenty left at the end and the flat course is made for fast times.



Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge