London A-Z Part 3 (M-R)

M - Mottingham


Mottingham is an area south-east of Lewisham between Lee and Eltham. There isn't much to say about it other than it involved a long, slow climb to get there on a very hot Tuesday evening.

Famous residents: For such a small place it certainly has some notable people associated with it including Cricketer WG Grace, athlete, missionary and inspiration for the film of Chariots of Fire Eric Liddell, Comedian Rob Beckett (with the teeth), and Politician Denis Healy.

N - Nunhead


Nunhead is a place in Peckham in the London Borough of Southwark in London, England. It was first named in 1680 after the local inn called The Nun’s Head. Rumour has it that this referred to the beheading of a nun during the dissolution of the monasteries.


I managed to get completely lost despite the short distance and ended up in Higher Oak. I managed to curl my way back to Brockley and was glad I did as it gave me the opportunity to see The Oak of Honour on top of One Tree Hill with spectacular views over London taking in the Millennium Wheel, St Paul's, The Shard and The Gherkin.

I couldn’t find any notable residents but there was one interesting fact: In July an event called Nunhead Beats the Bounds takes place. Nunhead residents march around the perimeter of Nunhead - from Queens Road to Camberwell New Cemetery - to build community spirit.

O - Orpington
Orpington is a town and electoral ward in Greater London, England, at the south-eastern edge of London's urban sprawl.

My run to Orpington marked the warm up for my Ravensbourne River Run where I followed the waterway from it's source at Caesar's Well just outside Keston to the Thames in Deptford.

Famous residents: A real mixed bag here including Politician Nigel Farage, Comedian Josie Long, Naturalist Charles Darwin, athlete Dina Asher-Smith, SInger Pixie Lott and Jeremy Beadle.

P - Peckham
"Peckham" is a Saxon place name meaning the village of the River Peck, a small stream that ran through the district until it was enclosed in 1823. It is the basis of TV comedies Only Fools and Horses and Desmond's.

While in Peckham I ran Peckham Rye parkrun in 19:25 as part of my challenge to run 20 different parkruns in under 20 minutes in 2020.

Famous residents: The band Fat White Family formed here in 2011.

Q - Queen's Park


Queen's Park is an area in North-West London. The northern half lies in the London Borough of Brent while the southern half lies in the City of Westminster.

There aren't many Q's in London. The closest I could find was on the other side of the river. I saved it for a weekend when I do my long runs and set out at 6am. My route took me to Westminster Bridge and past the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben in it's tower behind a scaffold shroud. I continued on following the final mile of the Marathon to Buckingham Palace and onto the Mall.

After crossing Green Park I turned right at Hyde Park Corner and made me way along the eastern edge of Hyde Park to Marble Arch. It was a straight run up the A5 past Maida Vale to the Borough of Brent and Queen's Park station.

I ran back via Primrose Hill, Regent's Park and the north bank of the Thames crossing over the Millennium Bridge to the south and then home.

Famous residents: Author Zadie Smith, Singer Lily Allen and Actors Daniel Craig and Sienna Miller.


Taking a knee outside Downing Street in protest.


R - Rotherhithe

Rotherhithe is located on a peninsula on the south bank of the Thames, facing Wapping and Limehouse on the north bank, and is a part of the Docklands area.

On my way to Rotherhithe I ran Southwark parkrun in 19:28 as part of my challenge to run 20 different parkruns in under 20 minutes in 2020.

Famous Residents: Engineers Marc Isambard and Isambard Kingdom Brunel the father and son team who built the Thames Tunnel among other things. The Brunel museum is located here. Entertainer Max Bygraves and Actor Maurice Mickelwaite otherwise known as Michael Caine.

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge