London A-Z Part 1 (A-F)


As a newbie to the Capital I want to get my bearings as quickly as possible. What better way than to run around it? (responsibly, only once a day and obeying social distancing rules). So here is my London A-Z with information about the neighbourhoods I visited, some famous people who were born/live there and an accompanying photo.

A - Abbey Wood
Abbey Wood is an neighbourhood of South East London, England, within the London Boroughs of Greenwich and Bexley.

Famous residents: Singer Kate Bush, Rapper Tinnie Tempah and snooker player Steve Davis all went to school here.

I ran here while doing my Lionel Stanhope run - North

B - Blackheath

Blackheath is a district of south-east London, England, straddling the Royal Borough of Greenwich and the London Borough of Lewisham.

Famous residents: Musician Jools Holland, Entrepreneur Richard Branson, Journalist and Broadcaster Danny Baker and Actor Jude Law were all born in, or live in Blackheath.

I ran to Blackheath on my way to Greenwich. It was a steep climb up Lewisham Hill to reach the heath which then spread out before me in the morning sunshine. I crossed the heath and entered Blackheath itself, passing the shops and cafes and discovering the huge gated mansions on the other side. From here I ran to Greenwich park for some speed work and then headed home via Deptford.

C - Camberwell

Camberwell is a district of South London, England, within the London Borough of Southwark.

Famous residents: Political Theorist Karl Marx and Singer Florence Welch of Florence and the Machine lived here, and Footballer Tammy Abraham was born here.

I ran here while doing my Lionel Stanhope run - West

D - Deptford

Deptford is an area of south-east London, England. It is on the south bank of the River Thames, and within the London Borough of Lewisham.

Famous residents: Joshua Norton - Born in Deptford he moved to San Francisco in 1849 and ten years later wrote letters to various newspapers in the city declaring himself 'Emperor of these United States.' He later added the title 'Protector of Mexico.' He "reign" lasted for 21 years.

I followed a similar route to my Blackheath run but this time went through Lee to get to Blackheath centre. I skipped the posh houses and went straight to Greenwich Park via Maze Hill. I took the Thames Path to Deptford and explored some of the area including the Market before heading back along the Ravensbourne River to Lewisham.

E - Eltham
Eltham is a district of southeast London, England, within the Royal Borough of Greenwich.

Famous residents: Singers Kate Bush and Boy George, Comedians Bob Hope and Frankie Howerd and Naturalist and Author of After London, Richard Jeffries.

I had no idea what I would find in Eltham as I set out for the fifth of the twenty six runs in my A-Z Challenge. All I knew was that it was approximately three miles away. I took the South Circular road to get there and by the time I arrived I was fed up of concrete and traffic.

As soon as I saw a sign for the Green Chain Walk I turned off. It turned out this was a route known as King John's Walk that linked Eltham Palace with the hunting estates to the south. It is named after Prince John of Eltham b. 1316. I passed Eltham Palace and kept going to Eltham Park South and on to Oxleas Woods.

This is a beautiful area of ancient trees and trails once a key hunting ground for highwaymen. I then dropped down into Jackwood and back up the steep slope to Severndroog Castle. This is in fact a folly built by Lady James to commemorate her husband, Sir William James’ conquest of Severn Droog on the coast of Malabar 2nd April 1755.

I was now on Shooter's Hill which I knew would take me all the way to Blackheath. Once there I couldn't resist a quick run around Greenwich Park and then it was time to head back home.

F - Forest Hill

Forest Hill is a district of the London Borough of Lewisham in south east London, England, on the South Circular Road, which is home to the Horniman Museum.

Famous residents: Theologian Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Author Raymond Chandler, Musician Desmond Decker, Actor Leslie Howard and lead Singer of Status Quo Francis Rossi were all born or lived here.

Forest Hill is just around the corner from me. It was a warm evening and the five miles felt like fifteen. It was all uphill on the way there and I stopped off at Blythe Hill Fields on the return for the unbeatable views of the London skyline.

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge