Lionel Stanhope Run - West


This was the fourth leg of my attempt to run to all of the Lionel Stanhope railway signs in London. I had completed the south*, east and north and it only remained for me to head west.

*I couldn't find South Croydon so need to return to get this one to complete the set.

It was another beautiful cloudless spring day as I headed towards Crofton Park just a few miles from my home. I set off at 6:30am so it was still cool but I could tell it was going to heat up quickly. The sun was already quite high in the sky and I recalled just a few weeks ago when I was up and out before sunrise.

There are two signs on either side of the bridge next to the station that passes over the line. One is a light blue on an orange background, the other in orange on a light blue background.



Next up was Brockley. This is where Lionel Stanhope lives and there are a number of pieces by him in the area. This was the first one he completed. Sadly someone has tagged over it, but not enough to ruin the piece.


The sign in Nunhead was a little more difficult to find. I liked this one as it had two separate tracks running overhead with a space in between to let the light in. An old fashioned street lamp had also been incorporated into the sign.


From there I followed the Peckham Road through Peckham and into Camberwell where the main sign was easily identifiable overlooking the main road. (see top). I turned left and headed south now to Brixton. I'd never been to Brixton before, but heard so much about it.


My first impressions weren't good, concrete tower blocks and litter, a large round edifice with tiny windows that looked like a prison. Run down houses and signs of deprivation. However, when I arrived in the heart of Brixton is transformed into a thriving, hustling hive of activity (even in lockdown). Market stalls full of fresh produce lined the streets, independent shops and cafes were on every corner.

It felt alive and exciting. I spent some time exploring while keeping my eyes open for the railway sign but couldn't find it anywhere. I searched all around the station but no luck. I didn't want another South Croydon experience so I followed the train lines checking under all the bridges. Eventually I found it quite a few streets from the station.

After this I had planned to do to Clapham to find that one there. I hadn't realised that the Brixton and Clapham ones were painted under the same bridge. Brixton on one side pointing left and Clapham on the other pointing right. That saved me a few miles!


Just Herne Hill left. I worked out that I would finish with around 15 miles completed. I was hoping for closer to 20. When I arrived at Herne Hill and had found the sign I saw Brockwell Park opposite. It was full of joggers and I felt it calling me in. I could easily make up my mileage in this beautiful location.


I spent half an hour exploring the winding paths around the park. There was a steep climb to the top which rewarded me with a stunning view. I also discovered a Lido - which I aim to visit when it reopens.

Leaving Herne Hill I made my way to Dulwich Village which I thought sounds quaint but is probably now built up and full of takeaways. I was wrong. There is still a real village feel to the place. The leafy streets, manicured gardens and small cafes made me feel like I had been transported to the Cotswolds rather than being just a few miles from Brixton.

I noticed another park and turned into it. It was aptly named Dulwich Park and was again full of runners. I noticed it was ten to nine on Saturday morning so no doubt these were some of my parkrun family. I followed the lake and then emerged the opposite side and followed the signs towards Catford.

Half a mile later I saw another park and turned off to explore this one. I'm so pleased I did. Horniman Gardens is one of the most picturesque places I have found in London. It comprises of paths that lead up the hill to the sunken gardens. From here the whole of west London is open to view. There is also a butterfly house and a museum of Victorian curios, a library and play area. I made a note to return with my family and visit the museum when things return to normal.


My trail was complete and I ran home past the Forest Hill and Catford signs I had collected on my first run. I finished on 19 miles. On the way back I bought a copy of the i newspaper and noticed on the front page a photo of Lionel Stanhope! He had painted a picture of superman with NHS on his chest at Hilly Fields, a local park. People had loved it so much that he had been commissioned to do a larger version at Waterloo. It made me smile, I felt that this man was using his talents to bring hope and joy to people at this difficult time. He deserved the recognition.



Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge