P.A.R.K.R.U.N


There are many challenges being thrown out during this Lockdown. I like challenges. Whether they are my own creation like Run The Date or someone else's doesn't matter.

The latest one I saw was for parkrunners to spell parkrun using road signs - the first letter of the name spelling the word.

I set off at 6.30 am and headed for Blackheath. I had decided to run around the heath and Greenwich Park on my route seeking out signs.

The first one came easy. An A at the end of my road - Aldworth Grove. On the way up Lewisham Hill I saw a P - Prince's Rise. Half a mile later I was on the edge of the heath and started to run around the edge in a anti-clockwise direction.

My route took me along Mounts Pond Road and Hare and Billet Road, past Grote's Buildings, down the beautifully named Tranquil Vale and onto Prince of Wales Road beside Prince of Wales Pond.

A handsome crescent called The Paragon featuring 18th Century houses took me to St German's Place. I crossed Shooters Hill Road and up Maze Hill onto Charlton Way where the London Marathon Red start is located.

From here I entered Greenwich Park and again took a clockwise route around the boundary past the ponds and dozens of other joggers. Once out the park I descended Wat Tyler Road - named after the leader of the 1381 Peasant's Revolt who marched from Canterbury to London to oppose the poll tax.

At the bottom of Lewisham Hill again I spotted Kings Hall Mews, my third letter. I turned up Courthill Road and there was my N - Nightingale Road. A few hundred metres further on I found an R - Ryecroft Road. Just two to go - another R and a U - tricky.

A bit further on I saw Duncrieve Road and saw my opportunity. I subtly covered the first letter and I had my U - Uncrieve Road.

After popping into Tesco for some essentials and picking up a prescription I headed home knowing the I would get my final letter R - Rosenthal Road - just around the corner from my house.

That was it P.A.R.K.R.U.N and with only a little cheating. I did check and there are no streets beginning with U in Lewisham Borough. The closest was another 3 miles away.

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge