Lionel Stanhope Run - North


For the third of my four Lionel Stanhope runs I was heading north-east to Charlton and Plumstead. These railway signs differ from the others as they are longer and go over bridges rather than under.

This was also the day I started my 2.6 Challenge - the London A-Z.

I began by making my way up to Blackheath and then into Greenwich Park. It was meant to be the day of the London Marathon which had been moved due to the Lockdown. Instead of thousands of people warming up at the start line, there were empty roads and only a few other joggers.

It was a beautiful clear, warm day as I made my way down the hill to the National Maritime Museum and onto the A206 heading east. This would take me directly to my destinations. It didn't take long to get to Charlton but I overshot the station and decided I would get it on the way back.

Continuing through Woolwich Arsenal I was soon at Plumstead. The artwork looked good. Unfortunately railings obscured the view. The low sun made it difficult to get a good photo.

Before heading back to Charlton I carried on to Abbey Wood for the first of my London A-Z. There was a very steep climb which took me past Borstall Heath and Woods. I detoured into the trees and enjoyed some uphill trail running. At Knee Hill I descended through more woodland and at the bottom of the hill a vast housing estate appeared.

After taking a photo of the station I ventured on through the dilapidated high rises. The area seemed very run down and there were signs of vandalism and poverty everywhere. To be honest I was glad to get to the other side.

At this point I stumbled upon the Ridgeway completely by accident. This is a gravel trail running from Crossness to Plumstead built on an embankment that covers the Southern Outfall Sewer. Apparently this sewer was built following the brilliantly named 'Great Stink' of 1858. I followed it back to Plumstead Station where I retraced my steps to Charlton.

This time I found the bridge over the station and the Stanhope sign. I was aware that I was now running part of the London Marathon route as I approached Greenwich. I symbolically ran around the Cutty Sark imagining the crowds of people cheering that I had seen and heard in 2012 and again in 2014. I continued towards Deptford and then turned to head back to Lewisham.

The run was 22.2 miles. Just the West route to go and another trip to South Croydon to complete the set.




Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge