The parkrun 20202020 Challenge - Number 2


The second of my 20 parkruns in under 20 minutes in 2020 took place at my home parkrun of Folkestone. I ran 18:55. I was confident of managing sub 20 but felt good and went hard. By the end I felt like I was closer to an 18:30 but this was probably due to heavy legs from high mileage during the week and the onset of a cold.

I was helped by a runner from South Kent Harriers who I had managed to catch on the second mile. It gave me an incentive to maintain and increase my pace to get past him when sometimes I tend to slow at that point in the run. After that it was a case of keeping him behind me.

I was helped by being familiar with the course and able to pace it well, although I find that with the 5K it is more a case of flat out for the whole distance and hold on best you can through the lactic acid at the finish.

The route is a simple one. From the Leas Hall Pavillion you run up the hill to the top of The Leas above the coastline with a beautiful view of the sea. At the top a marshal and a traffic cone signal the turning point about 1km from the start.

It is then downhill all the way to the Memorial Arch at the east end of The Leas. Another marshall and traffic cone mark the turning point which also represents half way.

Up the hill for a second time and a final 1km downhill to finish back at the start.

The day was cold enough for me to wear my tights and gloves and there was a headwind as there usually is running west above the sea. 396 people took part - a record attendance. I finished in 8th place.


Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge