2019 reviewed


When the year began, I was excited by the challenge ahead. John and I had set ourselves the goal of running 12 marathons in 12 months. However, I had no idea what I would end up achieving in addition to this by the end of December.

The year began as I meant to go on with a marathon on New Years Day. I remember it being a beautifully sunny, clear morning as we ran up and down the beach in Dymchurch.

In February we entered the Lenham Cross Winter Marathon. This time opting for hills and stunning views over the Kent countryside.

March and another 26.2 miles with thousands of feet in elevation at the Medway Monolith Marathon. Unfortunately, no monoliths, but a great group of people. We also entered the Lydd 20 mile event which turned into an obstacle course in the midst of a hurricane with falling trees littering the route.

April was a highlight as I took part in the Paris Marathon. Although it wasn’t the PB I hoped for I still managed to break 3:30 despite bonking at mile 17. My first overseas marathon and hopefully not the last.

The tantalisingly named Cakeathon was May’s marathon although I stuck to the flapjacks and crisps.Two more hilly runs in June and July with the Clifftop Challenge Marathon and North Downs Marathon.
After fine, dry weather through the winter it was all change in the summer. Our August Twilight Run Marathon was 50mph winds for the duration. A real battle with the elements in which our teamwork was put to the test as we took turns shielding one another from the gales on the exposed Rye Harbour.

The September Battle of Britain Marathon was probably worse as similar winds were combined with torrential rain and we were again exposed to the weather at Samphire Hoe and climbing the Dover cliffs.

The Ranscombe Autumn Marathon in October brought cold but drier conditions before the wind and rain returned in November for the ThamesMeander Marathon in London. Despite this I managed to secure my marathon PB, knocking 4 minutes of my previous time.

The twelfth and final marathon of the challenge was the New years Eve Betteshanger Challenge which nicely bookended the year.

Other highlights of 2019 include Run Folkestone in which I ran every street in the town.

In September I challenged myself to Run The Date to raise money for the homeless. This involved running the number of miles represented by the date i.e. 1 on the 1st, 2 on the 2nd …up to 30 miles on the 30th. I loved the experience and, despite intense knee pain and swelling towards the end, managed to emerge injury free. In total I ran 465 miles in 30 days, an average of 15 miles a day ending with five back to back marathons.

On the final day John and Kevin ran with me from Whitstable to Folkestone, crossing Kent from sea to sea. We were welcomed by dozens of well wishers as we crossed the line and I was presented with a signed BMRC shirt. Rainbow Centre in Folkestone benefitted from the generous contributions to the tune of £2600 towards their winter shelter.

Between January and March I ran a Couch to 5K group at work. Ten people signed up and nine finished which was amazing. We celebrated by running Folkestone parkrun and going for coffee and cake.

Speaking of parkrun, this year I reached the 250 milestone and was able to order my green t-shirt. In 2020 I will complete 100 in Folkestone and 300 altogether.

This year I finally joined Strava and now record my runs and share in the achievements of others. I’ve also been hunting crowns around Folkestone and have managed to win six new crowns bringing my total to ten. I’m most proud of the Viaduct Sprint and Castle Hill x 5.

Finally it turned out to be a good year for PBs. I’ve already mentioned the marathon PB, but I also managed to achieve PBs in the mile and 10K events. The 10K PB was part of my first triathlon that I ran with John and Kevin. We managed to come second in the relay team event on our first attempt.

I’m so proud of John and I for completing the 12 in 12 challenge. Not so much for the endurance of completing the miles but more for the camaraderie and friendship that has been present throughout

This was never more present than on the Run The Date Challenge when John ran most of the days with me, Kevin and other joined me on various days and there was even a team of Australians running along with us. It was great to see people coming together to raise money for such a good cause and just reaffirmed for me what a loving, caring, generous and supportive community the running world is.

To sum up the year I have to thank my fellow Bald Monkeys. This year has seen the development of a group of friends (who happen to be runners) who I am so thankful for. What started as a joke on a failed run has turned into a social group and a source of much positivity and good.

We have our own shirts, Facebook page, and group chat. In December we held our first Christmas meal. We have collected clothing for the homeless, boosted profits at Buttys coffee shop and encouraged one another, whatever our ability and goals, to get better and reach further than we otherwise would have on our own. There is also a closeness that means we share our struggles and joys together like any good family. Illness, redundancy, birthdays, PBs are all celebrated and commiserated together.

Bald Monkeys is my proudest achievement of the year and I share that with John, my fellow Bald Monkey and good friend who has shared in the highs and lows of most of the runs I have done this year. A close second is beating his marathon PB 😉
So farewell 2019. Thanks for the memories and 2500 miles of running – the equivalent of running to Baghdad or Istanbul and back again. Welcome 2020, what delights will you hold?








Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge