My top 10 running songs of 2019


This year I have finally embraced Streaming. For years I bought and listened to all my music by CD, but I now only use Spotify (other music streaming platforms are available.) This has the added advantage that I can listen to tunes while running.

Combining these two passions of mine not only means that I am more up to date with new music but I also have a soundtrack to my runs. I created a number of playlists for different situations. One for general runs, one for hard, fast runs, one for my September challenge, and a general 2019 one.

So what tracks have accompanied my runs and made it into my 2019 Top 10?

10 - Notes from Ewer Street by Suli Breaks

Laid back beats and a chilled delivery. This hypnotising track features brilliant lyrics such as

"Some mornings I wake early just to listen to the sunrise"

"Try to tell my cousin that she can take pictures that ain't for the gram, that these moments still happen even if people don't see them, but she's young so she's like yea yea yea yea whatever."

"My wife's mum is convinced that one day she will win the lottery. How can I convince her that with 7 kids she has already won it 7 times"

"Still searching for the meaning of life or is life just a search for meaning"

9 - The Runner - Foals

Heavy guitars, driving beat and a catchy chorus "If I fall down then I know to keep on running" and it's called The Runner.

8 - Sunglasses - Black Country, New Road

The moment I heard this quirky, meandering, broody and glorious track I loved it. So much in fact that I went to see them in Margate and was blown away by their live show. "I am locked away in a high-tech, wrap around, translucent, blue-tinted fortress, and you cannot touch me. I am invincible in these sunglasses." Genius.

7 - Castles - Freya Ridings

When I first heard this it was an advert but the chorus stuck in my head. A bit of a cheesy tune but a great one to belt out while running alone on a windy hillside. "I'm gonna build castles from the rubble of your love"

6 - Offence - Little Simz

A banging blast of bass and bile from my artist of the year. Lyrical genius. I could have chosen any track off her album but this one has the great lyric "I'm Jay-Z on a bad day, Shakespeare on my worse days" and the chorus shout of "You're not listening"

5 - Illuminia - Lamb

My favourite band had a new album out this year and every track is incredible. I chose this one as it is the title track and always makes me smile when it comes on "I-LLU-MI-NA". It also has a cracking bass line.

4 - More Is Less - The Murder Capital

An adrenaline fuelled, guitar riffing, shouty mess from Ireland. All together now "More, more, more, more, more, more, more is less, more is less, more, more, more!" One to get the legs pumping and heart racing.

3 - Ducter - Black Midi

A dark, sinister monster of a record this one. 6:42 of strange soundscapes, eerie vocals and banshee screams. The chorus of "He could never break me!" has driven me up many a hill.

2 - Lento e Largo - Henryk Gorecki. Beth Gibbons, Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra


A beautiful piece of classical music accompanied by the haunting vocals of Portishead singer Beth Gibbons. An atmospheric and moving piece perfect for long, winter runs.

1 - Jogging - Richard Dawson

What else? It had to be this wry and whimsical tale of a man taking up jogging to deal with life's problems. I love the video too. This is a good one for running around busy streets feeling mug because I'm out running while everyone else is trapped in their cars or offices.

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge