Run The Date - Day 29 - Battle of Britain Marathon


Date: Sunday 29th September

Distance: 29 miles

Motivational quote: "A run begins the moment you forget you are running."

Sponsor: Martin Salmon

Song: Heroes by David Bowie

Running partner: John Lawrence

Weather: Horrendous. Storm force winds, rain and hail.

Fuel: Weetabix, coffee, banana, Mars, flapjacks, cheese and Marmite pastries, nuts.

Route: Battle of Britain Marathon at Samphire Hoe

Comments: The toughest run of my life. Even windier and rougher than the Rye Twilight Marathon last month. Fierce hassles meant the sea wall at Samphire Hoe was closed.

We got there in pouring rain and watched the huge waves crashing and frothing on the sea front. We were told by the race organise Travis that we would be heroes if we even made it to a second lap. We needed to do four!

The race began with a loop around Samphire Hoe, the nature reserve built from the still excavated to construct the Channel Tunnel. Sea water was being carried on the gusts and soaking us to the skin within minutes.

The wind was in our faces for a mile before we turned and had it behind us for half a mile. The route then took us up through the tunnel under the white cliffs. A steep half mile to the road where we joined the cycle path from Dover towards Folkestone.

Now it was steeply uphill into the gale. John and I took turns in the lead and gradually the path flattened as we reached the top of the cliffs. There was a downhill section to the sound mirror and another steep climb. At the point the wind was stopping us in our tracks and blowing our feet from under us. It was all we could do to keep our balance.

This was the half way point and we retraced our steps without the initial loop to complete 6.5 miles.

On the second lap my left knee flared up and I was in agony. Sharp stabbing pains ricocheted around my knee. I had to keep stopping and hobbling.

By the end of the second loop I was seriously considering stopping. I thought this could be the end of my challenge. Should I so to ensure I could run the last day? But now could I run the last day if I'd already failed? John offered to do the third lap for me but I knew I had to keep going, if nothing else to see how far I could go. I also didn't want to ruin the 12 marathons in 12 months challenge we are doing. At least I could keep one alive.

I began to talk to the pain. 'I'm going to beat you pain. Today I will defeat you. Maybe not tomorrow but you won't stop me today'.

Back at base camp I ate, drank and necked 2 Ibuprofen and two Panadol. We set off on lap 3.

My knee continued to stream, but I tried to separate my body from my mind and kept going. Gradually the pain withdrew. I kept taking the front as the wind and rain in my face distracted me from my knee. When we arrived back at the start with just six miles to go I knew I would finish even if I had to walk the rest.

Last lap I put my head down and ground it out. John puked me up the hill by taking the lead. At the turn around point I carried on into Capel Le Ferne for a mile to try and get closer to the 29. At the bottom I was tired but exhilarated to have completed the 9th marathon of our 12 in 12. But. I still had just over a mile to go. That was a tough mile but I finished the 29 miles.


Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge