Run The Date - Day 16


Date: Monday 16th September

Distance: 16 miles

Motivational quote: "Adversity causes some men to break; others to break records."

Sponsor: Kevin Rall

Song: Gabriel by Lamb

Running partner: Nathaniel and Juliette.

Weather: Overcast with sunny spells. Humid.

Fuel: Shreddies, muesli, banana, coffee, vegetable pasty.

Route: To the library to drop off a book then into Hythe and laps of the cricket pitch.

Comments: After 1200 feet of elevation on yesterday's run I was feeling quite lethargic today. The plan had been to do the 16 miles in two separate runs - ten at lunchtime and another six in the evening. Nathaniel and Juliette had offered to do a couple of miles with me at the start.

The three of us headed into town so I could return my library book and then skirted the Bayle and returned up the Leas. We arrived in time to get a photo in front of a number 16 bus.

As they returned to work I ran towards Hythe looking for a nice flat route. I followed the canal path until I reached the centre of the town. The footpath was shut for tree felling so I turned off into the cricket ground. I decided to do a few loops while listening to my music as I had enjoyed doing that in Folkestone last week.

After two laps I had already made up my mind to do ten. By the time I had done nine I was already gearing up to do another ten in the opposite direction. It was very muggy and the sweat was pouring off me. The groundsman had turned up to fit a sprinkler so I approached and asked if I could have a quick cooling shower. He gave me a strange look but when he realised I wasn't going to remove my clothes he agreed.

I had now completed eleven miles and it would be four more back to Folkestone. When I arrived at Mermaid Bay I had time for a dip in the cold sea before completing a final mile. All 16 miles in one go and I could have a well deserved rest in the evening.


When I turned on my computer in the afternoon I was encouraged by several new donations pushing me closer to my new target of £1500.

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge