Run The Date - Day 14

Date: Saturday 14th September

Distance: 14 miles

Motivational quote: "I didn't feel like running today which is exactly why I went."

Sponsor: Allyson Edwards

Song: I bet you look good on the dance floor by Arctic Monkeys

Running partner: Long run, Folkestone parkrun and sea swim.

Weather: Beautifully clear, sunny and hot.

Fuel: Weetabix, banana, coffee and trail bar.

Route: Around Folkestone, along the Harbour Arm and parkrun before heading to the beach.

Comments: It was warm when I left the house at 7:30 and I felt sluggish. The first mile was a struggle at 8:30 pace. However, once I had met John and we had done another mile or so I was feeling much better.

We headed to Sainsburys. I had been trying to think where we could find a number 14 for today's photo and realised there would be an aisle in the supermarket. Once there we located the right aisle only to see that it was selling hair products and shampoo - quite ironic for a couple of Bald Monkeys.

Picture taken, we headed for the harbour and did a lap of the beach before a run along the harbour arm and back. We then had to climb Remembrance Hill back to the Leas and a quick jog home to pick up some water and Run The Date flyers.

We were back in time for the start of parkrun with nine miles already completed. The parkrun Director very kindly announced that I was raising money for Folkestone Rainbow Centre by doing my challenge. He also gave out that fellow Bald Monkey Neil Adams was running his 100th parkrun.

I took it easy today and once finished picked up a scanner to help register people's times. I like to volunteer from time to time and it is even better if I can also run. It was also an opportunity to hand out my flyers to people giving the Virgin Money page for them to donate.

A man approached me later and asked if I could take his photo as he was visiting from Salisbury. His name is Jason and he used to live in Folkestone for 20 years. We got chatting and he came to Butty's coffee shop with a group of us for coffee and cake.

There were only two miles left to run so I headed down to the beach and went for a nice cooling swim to ease my muscles - as good as an ice bath.

Tomorrow is another early start. 6am a group of us including Kevin Hart will be running to Dover and back. I'll tell you more about Kevin and his own challenge tomorrow.


Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge