Some thoughts on running and mental health



My name is Adam and I struggle with depression. I’ve been on medication for a number of years now. The depression isn’t a constant state but rather ebbs and flows like the tide. Sometimes it reaches high up the shore and threatens to overwhelm and engulf me; at others it gently laps against the shore of my life with little impact on my daily ability to function.

I suffered with it before I became a runner. I took up running with no thought about my depression. However, I know that running is one of the main weapons in my armoury to cope when the waters rise.

The physical act of running, the challenge it presents and the sense of achievement it provides are all positive aspects. Being able to spend time in the countryside, with friends, exploring and enjoying the world also boosts my moods. The time it provides to think, pray or simply to switch off is also beneficial.

Running isn’t the only breakwater. I am also on medication, practice yoga and meditation and seek to surround myself with positive people; but running is the most powerful force against the choppy seas.

There is an excellent book by Phil Hewitt called ‘Outrunning the Demons: LivesTransformed through Running. It contains 35 stories of how running has helped people suffering with conditions including;
Trauma, Bereavement, Depression & Anxiety, Addiction & Alcoholism, Terrorism, Violence/Sexual Abuse, Long-term Health Conditions (cancer, stroke etc), and Eating Disorders.

When reading it I could identify with many instances where the act of running physically aided recovery, the mental aspect offered stimulation, the social dimension provided support, and spirituality was nurtured.

Rather than running away from problems, I find myself running with my questions, running towards answers, running to recharge and recover, to kickstart and stimulate my soul.

My aim is to be free of medication, although I have no problem using it as a scaffold while seeking to address the cause. However even if I never experienced the symptoms of depression or anxiety again, I could not give up running. In fact, if – God forbid – I ever have to, whether through injury or illness, I anticipate I would struggle significantly unless I could identify a substitute.

Running isn’t an addiction but it is a way of life, a way of looking at life, a way of being. It is part of who I am now, and I can’t remember what I used to do without it. So, every time I lace up my running shoes and set my Strava I give thanks that I can run, that I found running – or running found me. Even if it didn’t offer anti-depressive benefits I would continue to participate.

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge