Mastering the run


One of the greatest strengths I have developed through running is nothing to do with muscle mass or flexibility, fitness levels or VO2 max. It is being able to master my own body and mind; to apply a measure of control over both my mental and physical urge to quit.

I believe that this is fundamental to becoming a better runner. When everything is telling you to stop, you somehow manage to keep going. The legs are screaming, the lungs are burning, and the mind is throwing in the towel, but still you are moving forward.

One. Step. At. A. Time.

It is one of the mysteries of the sport I love. Doubtless there is a scientific explanation, but I revel in my ignorance, and I am grateful for my learned ability to overcome myself in this way; to reach a degree of performance that I previously thought unobtainable.

It is this that has enabled me to complete races at all distances. It is no easier in the short ones than it is harder in the long. A full on 5k can require the same mental fortitude that a stamina sapping ultra demands. If I want to push my limits it is necessary to hit the override button and drain the extra 10% from myself.

It sounds painful, and it is. However, the euphoria on achieving goals that even your own body and mind felt impossible is priceless.

For this reason I am excited to be challenging myself to ‘Run the Date’ in September. It is my project to push my limits while also raising money for a worthy cause.

During the month I will be running every single day. The number of miles I cover will correlate to the date i.e. 1 mile on the 1st up to 30 miles on the 30th. The first two weeks will be on par with my regular training volume. It then ramps up quickly ending with five days of marathon distance or more back to back. This is when the override switch will be needed.

The total distance of 465 miles is over twice what I am used to in the same period. Obviously, this is going to require special attention in the areas of diet and rest in particular.

My extra motivation will come from the fact that I will be raising money for Rainbow Centre in Folkestone. This is a local charity that provides support and hope for individuals and families experiencing deprivation or hardship. This includes homeless support, foodbanks, a winter shelter, mobile food service and a family contact centre. I am aiming to raise £1000.

If you would like to sponsor me you can do so on my fundraising page: https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/runthedate

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge